Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

First post with my new car. (SUV) My nephew calls it a SOB.

I picked up a really clean 2004 Cayenne S. Black/Black Paint is fantastic, so is interior.

Clean carfax and only 66000mls. All manuals, keys etc... Thats the good.

The bad is that after i picked up the car in Tampa i drove it to Daytona for a couple of

days of R and R on the beach. I got to Daytona and it wouldn't start. Dead Battery.

Ok So i replaced the battery. Not a big deal. The dealer i bought the car from was

supposed to put a full tank of gas in the car. He gave me 3/4. So i drove it to almost

empty. When i filled up the car it started to leak all over the ground. I thought i may

h ave put too much gas in it. (21 gallons it took).

Then after driving an additional 70 miles i parked the car and gas was still

dripping out. I see in the warrenty book that the "emissions" covers the fuel tank

gaskets seals etc... for 8 years. THat 8 years is up in a week.

Anyway the long and the short is that I am wondering if this is a common problem?

Solutions? And will the dealership even honor the warrenty?

BTW i put 1000mls on the car and it's great. I miss the boxster but right now this

is the right vehicle for me.

Edited by seafeye

Here are a couple pics.....

I did the search and saw this: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/34640-fuel-smell-from-left-rear-wheel-well/page__p__183440__hl__%2Bfuel+%2Bleak__fromsearch__1#entry183440

Now is the flange/fittings part of the fuel tank? Shouldn't that be covered?

post-16847-0-97099800-1311339657_thumb.j

post-16847-0-05934400-1311339670_thumb.j

post-16847-0-95734400-1311349600_thumb.j

Edited by seafeye

I'm surprised there isn't a check engine light on (or SES)..

From looking at the listing for covered components, it looks as if anything leaking would be covered by the mandated warranty. There is no "overfill" on modern fuel systems.. the pump should click off when the tank is full. The fact that the dealer only put 3/4 tank in it to deliver it to you means to me that they knew of the problem. In some states - any used car - even one sold "as-is" by a dealer MUST meet emissions standards, it's worth checking that out. FWIW - IIRC, fuel capacity is 24 gallons, so 20-21 isn't abnormal.

Well good and bad news.

Good: Porsche replaced the flange and gas cap. Gas cap was aftermarket. I guess the flange had a crack and was the cause of the leak.

Bad: $540.

Not bad all things considered. The warranty for the fuel tank and misc is only 2 years. Should be longer. IMO

Wonder if the aftermarket cap damaged the flange?

Did you ever check to see what the laws in your state are in regards to a sale from a car dealer (even sleezy used car dealers apply in NJ) where it wouldn't pass emissions? I suspect those lows are rather standard nationwide (assuming you're in the USA..)

Wonder if the aftermarket cap damaged the flange?

Did you ever check to see what the laws in your state are in regards to a sale from a car dealer (even sleezy used car dealers apply in NJ) where it wouldn't pass emissions? I suspect those lows are rather standard nationwide (assuming you're in the USA..)

I called the dealer and told him of my troubles. I guess he is going to bed tonight to ponder on doing what's right or not and let me know tomorrow. I believe him in that he most likely had no idea that there was a leak. What dealership has cars sitting on the lot with a full tank of gas? Maybe it was the guy who traded in the car who knew about the leak and dumped it. Florida doesn't have emissions check so i guess he gets away there. Now selling a "Family" car that leaks gas knowingly? All i can say is that Karma is a *****.

The flange sits on top of the tank. On the drivers side it has a filter in it. So i don't think the cap had anything to do with it unless it pressurized the tank to the point of cracking the weakest part. I've seen weirder things...

The flange sits on top of the tank. On the drivers side it has a filter in it. So i don't think the cap had anything to do with it unless it pressurized the tank to the point of cracking the weakest part. I've seen weirder things...

Ah - interesting that was the source of the leak.... didn't know which "flange" it was.

The passenger side one is the fuel pressure regulator, the drivers side one is the fuel filter and a check valve that keeps the fuel rail pressurized with the pumps off. I had them all replaced under warranty (and the pumps) when I had a starting problem (loss of fuel rail pressure when the car was shut down.) Turned out to be the fuel filter one - with the undocumented check valve in it (which wasn't checking..) Picked up a brand new one today from a seller on Ebay for $20 (dealer cost is many multiples of that..) Have it in the back of the truck, happily I'm on vacation in the LA area and that's where the seller was.

I was kinda hoping that it would be covered but because I was already there and I really am becoming conservative in my old age, don't really like driving around leaking gas, i got them to fix it. The $350 labor to change the part seems excessive. Just trying not to think about it. :)