Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Problem

I recently had some problems with dash lights staying on , clock blinking etc and it was recommended I replace the ignition switch. I ordered one from Pelican however when it arrived it would not fit and it turned out I ordered the wrong one.

I put the old one back and oddly enough the dash light, clock issue cleared however now I have another problem more serious than the original.

The car will start easily however after initial start up the engine runs very rough and shuts off. If I apply gas it misfires has no power and shuts off. It wll restart easily but will not idle.

I tried disconnecting battery and retrying but same problem.

Does anyone know what has happened. I have the proper ignition switch on order but am concerend I have caused another problem.

Any ideas?

The Bentley Service Manual suggests, on page 27-2, that idle speed fluctuations and minor driveability issues may happen after reconnecting the battery. Drive the car for several minutes to restore the adaptation settings. Further, on MY00 - MY02 Boxsters, do the following to carry out a throttle adaptation procedure:

1. Turn ignition ON for one minute prior to starting engine,

2. Switch ignition OFF for at least 10 seconds, then start engine.

BTW, what year is your car?

Bill

My car is a MY99 2.5L Tip. I have disconnected battery several timers and retried with no success. It will start every time fine but dies after a few seconds. Even if I rev it hard it will die off as if starved for fuel.

Do you know if this could be related to some anti theft protection since IZ did mess with the ignition switch?

Thanks for the reply I appreciate your help.

I would think that if you re-installed the old, defective ignition switch, you might have created your starting problem. Something about the "law of unintended consequences". And, the earlier problems may reoccur.

Did you re-order the part? You may have to wait until you can install the proper part to see if you still have the problem. One of the indespensible troubleshooting devices is a PST2 or PIWIS or the Durametric program for a PC laptop or a generic OBD2 reader. You may have some codes that might help sort out a system problem. Other than that, I have no idea where to go. Sorry.

Bill

Thanks. Over the weekend I got some advise from a VW mechnaic who suggested disconnecting MAF. Sure enough the engine starts and keeps running , perhaps better than before. Reattached the connector and engine stalls.

I guess it was just one of those strange coincidences that it occurred just after I replaced the switch.

Anyway thanks for the contribution I appreciate you taking the time.

I have a new IS on order. Should arrive this week. Hopefully it will clear op the weird dash lighg problems.

Cheers, Kev..

Perhaps someone with more knowledge, certainly a better memory than I, will jump in here......My understanding of the effect of the MAF on the engine running at less than about 4,000 RPM is that it is negligible - if not zero. Not to seem to be beating a dead horse, I think the beginning of the solution of your problem is to checck for any codes. Otherwise, you will probably waste money purchasing parts that aren't needed and worse - clouding the issue.

Good luck,

Bill

• Admin

P1124 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Rich Threshold

P1126 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 4 . 6) - Rich Threshold

Possible causes:

- Intake air system leaking.

- Fuel pressure too low.

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low.

- Fuel injectors fouled

P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 1 . 3) - Rich Threshold

P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 2 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Rich Threshold

Possible causes:

- Intake air system leaking.

- Fuel pressure too low.

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low.

- Fuel injectors fouled

Air leak, air leak, air leak is what this says to me...

• Where should I start .. From most to least likely. Closet dealer is 1500km and a ferry ride away so I am on my own. I am handy enough to work thru this with some instruction.

• Admin

Check your AOS and bellows. Can you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running - if you can then the aforementioned are likely okay. If you can't then they need to be replaced.

Another sign of AOS failure is oil in the throttle body.