Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Insulation Foam out of A/C Vents!

03 C4S with 103,000 KM.

Hi Everyone, was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before...

it's really starting to get hot around here (46 degrees Celcius) and about a month ago i started seeing small foam/sponge parts coming out of the A/C, and yesterday when i took the car to the track, the sponge particles were getting bigger and bigger getting out of the vents...

i can only assume these are insulation sponges that are deteriorating, do i need to replace them? i assume would be a costly and time consuming job... anyone had something like this before?

Thanks,

Nehme

Edited by Nehmaiz

03 C4S with 103,000 KM.

Hi Everyone, was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before...

it's really starting to get hot around here (46 degrees Celcius) and about a month ago i started seeing small foam/sponge parts coming out of the A/C, and yesterday when i took the car to the track, the sponge particles were getting bigger and bigger getting out of the vents...

i can only assume these are insulation sponges that are deteriorating, do i need to replace them? i assume would be a costly and time consuming job... anyone had something like this before?

Thanks,

Nehme

• Upvote 1

I’ve been having the same issue. It’s been going on for over a year. I’m not sure if the foam in the ducts causes it but when I have my AC on (9 months a year) my windshield gets foggy strips along the bottom but if I turn on the floor vents it doesn’t.

It would be great to find out what causes this and how to fix it.

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...

OK>>>Hi This is my first post.  I have started the process of addressing the "foam from vents" issue.  Some helpful links and notes...

TO remove dashboard...this forum was a huge help where I found some links.  I'm just not sure they were all together...

To Remove Dashboard:

Comment: Perhaps I over looked, but the AC Evaporator will be disconnected..gas will leave system...It will cost about $200 to have it recharged....get new o-rings, pressure valve, Evaporator and Drier (these part are about $150); Also I could not remove my heater core without bending metal from reinforcing braces.  I was removing blower box so it doesn't matter.  I will also replace heater core (approx $125).  I'll also replace blower...(3 options  original $500, German Made $240, other $100...I opted for German but my blower seems ok so I may send back)

Removing blower box was not fun!  Removed wiper motors/arms to get to nuts on firewall.  Removed alum structure on driver side to remove more structure in the radio area.  

I did not use this approach but it's a good link.  I am opting to use a scotch-brite pad in place of the foam.  The grey dense one.  I am also going to screw and use a small thin aluminum strip to hold the pad of the flaps.  Pay attention to weight and mass.  I just did't want to deal with tapes and adhesives.  

Link to MY PICs

Updated Link 12/4/18

WWW.AMAZON.COM

NOW...I am investing into the car as well.  I am redoing some of the Leather dash.  Putting a suede on the A-Pillars and top windshield screen.  Adding some to doors as well.

AC has been charged and it's going back together.....

Edited by JO2004c4s

• 10 months later...

Welcome to the world of older 996's.  Mine is a 99 (made in 98) so I am familiar with the foam issue.  Been there, done that.

You have three options:

1) Live with it.  Eventually it will stop.  When mine did this, I took a shop vac, put the fan on high, and started cleaning it up.  Tweezers help pull out the bigger pieces. I did this several times over a span of about 6 months, and then it stopped.  Been over 8 years since I have noticed any foam.  Thing is I have noticed no difference in the heating and cooling.  Still works great.

2) There is a method/procedure for entering the air box by removing the heater core from outside the cabin.  This is complicated and some parts need to be cut, and it only gives you access to one of the flaps (there are three).  Some say this works, but for me it is just not worth the hassle.

3) Remove the entire dash and all electrical connections to be able to remove the air box.  The air box is sealed so you will have to find a way to cut it open so you can put it back together.  You then can replace the flap door foam with new foam (not a good idea) or use metal duct tape, or fashion new flap panels from metal.  You could replace the air box ($$$) but after a few years it will only start doing it again.  There is a lot that can go wrong with removing the entire dash.  Again, just not worth the risk or hassle.

As I stated, once my foam stopped coming out, I have noticed no change in how the AC and heat work.  Nice and cold on warm days, and nice and warm on cold days.

Edited by DBJoe996