Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Cooler Leak?

If anyone has been following my engine's saga...

I've put about 300 miles on the car since the repairs. The car is performing beautifully aside from a few lingering issues.

After a recent head R&R I accidentally damaged my bank 1 variocam solenoid wire. I've sourced a solenoid and will be replacing it. The solenoid fails the ohm test (.01 on the multimeter, and can't be activated manually with 12V+) whereas the bank 2 solenoid tests fine at 13+ ohms and can be activated with the PST2.

I guess there is some formula for Porsche engines, depending on how many things you need to replace dictates whether you drop the engine or not.

I'm also replacing a crank pulley (warped) and FMS (slight leak).

Anyways after dropping the engine last weekend I noticed the oil cooler has a little tiny bit of oil in between the ribs in the middle of the cooler - a few grams - but certainly noticeable. I was meticulous in cleaning it when I dropped the engine 300 miles ago and am 100% certain this is fresh oil seeping out of it or from some other location (I can't surmise where else it would come from).

Anyone ever notice this before? Should I just not worry about this and wait until it fails or spend the $200 or so on a new one.

I've read from JFP that the oil cooler can be a source of intermix and I certainly don't want to have to clean up that mess... anyhow advice or opinions would be appreciated!

• Moderators

I have never seen a cooler leak to the outside, but internal intermixing is not uncommon; usually if it has oil on the outside of it, the oil came from somewhere else. You can always pull the cooler and pressure test it (be sure to use new orings) to make sure it is OK. As they only cost about $200 or so brand new, they are not worth trying to repair.

• Upvote 1

I used rubber plugs and compressed air to test mine for internal leaks. Plugged both ports on one side (forget whether it was the oil or coolant side) and one port on the other side. Put in soapy water and compressed air on the side with both port plugged to see if there were any bubbles on the side with only one port plugged. No leaks in mine. I was also advised to heat the cooler up as the leaks can show up only when the cooler is at operating temps. Did this in the oven to 300 degrees and then tested it again. Mine was good.

Here is a youtube on this test. There are other videos of this.

I think you could do this with all ports plugged and see if any fluid leak out on the exterior.

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen!

:thankyou: greatly for the accurate replies as always.

I tested the oil cooler and it is good. SO I am thinking this oil was left over somehow from the head R&R.

Anyways I will keep an eye on this area in the future - fortunately it is on the side which is easy to see near the transmission bell housing.

The engine is back in the car AGAIN, after the second drop to R&R a failed variocam solenoid.

The engine is running FANTASTIC. Had it out today for a very hard drive, and it was wonderful.

Thanks again.