Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake booster replacement

Hi all as per suggestions here I am ready to attempt to replace my brake booster. . . That being said I have the compartment cover removed and I am seeing very short hard lines to the control module.

My concerns are is it necessary to open the fluid system to replace the booster, are there any unique tools needed and can it be done neatly?

I am an experienced hobby mech, I have built turbo'd drag cars, know my way around an engine, played the solo 1 circuit, I just tend to steer clear of things I cannot do forward and backwards in my mind.

Also I do not want to tear it down and find a surprise causing me to have to have it flatbedded to the dealer. TIA

Also I would have no problem documenting the steps and creating a D.I.Y. on the job. I have a few D.I.Y. postings on TurboDodge.com and FordRangerForums, no LED mods, all HP related.

Edited by ViolaGT3

Okay, apparently I need a DIY on how to search! I did a search for Brake in the DIY forum and read through 4 pages of stuff none containing any of this. . . :unsure:

Thanks Again Loren!

If you were a woman I would propose.:thumbup:

Found my folley, this is under the boxster section. Didn't check there.

Edited by ViolaGT3

Hey Loren any ideas on how these two conect? I am messing with the rod between the booster and the pedal. There are two nuts one big and one thin. I loosened the thin one and backed it up a bit and all attempts to loosen the other one have been useless. It seems the the rod/shaft just keeps turning. Does the big nut thread back like the thin one or is it supposed to thread towards the other direction. I am leary of grabbing the rod with some vice grips without know which way to take it. Common sense tells me it follows the thin nut, but I am not sure that "it" knows that?

Alright, I give, I have documented everything so far and I am having no luck. The brake lines are a bear, no give. I have removed the distribution block mount nuts. Freeing it helped to get the MC out of the booster but it is still pinned against it. I am sure that with a little elbow grease I can get it free. Now all this is useless as I cannot get the rod to disconnect from the bridge. It just keeps spinning like it is e-clipped in there. I have at this point cut both boots/bellows and can see all that one would need to see. On the end of the new booster assembly there is a rod with a long cylinder nut(the fat nut on the rod, it is like a cap nut, approx 2 inches long with a stud mounted on the top of it)with a threaded stud sticking of the connecting end. There is a yellow anodized spring nut at what would be at the end of the rod assembly that appears to be what is holding the assembly together. But it is not unscrewing from the end of the rod. Can anyone tll me if the MY99, has a threaded end or a e-clip style end on it? I am trying to be careful not to break anything as there is a big ta-do about MY00 changes and the MY99 parts not being avail. I have pics but they look like the ones posted in Loren's link above. Cep't that the brake lines are a rediculous mess.

TIA