Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

There is wealth in the information within this forum discussion threads.

I have interest in the 997 turbos and the GT3. My wife prefers an automatic tranny for 90 city drives.

So to please her, I will go with HER color selection and tranny. But should I seriously consider PDK over the Tiptronic assuming I can afford either tranny?

I would appreciate a basic and accurate description of the difference between Tiptronic & PDK transmissions.

It appears that the 2009 turbos have Tiptronic tranny and the 2009 NON turbos went to the PDK.

Those enthusiasts that love mannual tranny usually dislike the automatic tranny BUT I see more individuals willing to switch from mannual to PDK.

Can someone explain what a torque converter is? I understand the Tiptronic uses a torque converter and the PDK is a different(dual clutch)technology.

Is the PDK better than the Tiptronic & why or why not?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Dntvet, I do not have knowledge of either tranny's. But I don't think there has ever been anything other than a manual tranny in GT3's. So looks like you will be looking for a turbo. Great car to have to settle with to make the wife happy. :)

• Moderators

You can "Google" torque converter or PDK to get a full explanation of how each works, it would take forever to explain it in a post.

.As for which is the "best", that is a more loaded question. The PDK is the current state of the art sequential manual gear box controlled by a computer and using two "wet" clutches (one for the even numbered gears, the other for the odd and reverse). As it uses mechanical gears and clutches, there is less parasitic losses and way faster and firmer shifting. It is the same transmission technology used in current Formula 1 cars. The Tip is a recent design update to the automatic transmissions found in just about everything since the 1950's, and has considerable horsepower loss due to how it operates. Both the Tip and the PDK can be set to shift on their own (automatically), but as the PDK is newer tech, it can also be set via the computer for maximum launch, etc.

On the dark side, the Tip is well known, used by Mercedes, Audi and VW; so service and the like is out there. The PDK being new, is currently dealer only service, and even then the dealer's tend to try software updates before replacing the trans when problems set in because Porsche has limited parts availability and the design of the gear box requires significant special tooling and fixtures to work on them. Not really an issue while the car is under warranty, but are you ready to spring for a $15K+ gear box once the warranty runs out.............

• 1 month later...

Dear Dntlvet,

Having owned both a Porsche 911 with a Tiptronic (997.1) and a PDK (997.2) I must tell you as a friend...

Forget about the Tiptronic and get a PDK!!! Simply put, there's no comparison! The PDK is leaps and bounds ahead of the Tiptronic...

PDK has instant no delay super smooth shifts!

Buy an 2009 or newer Carrera! Like they always say,"Buy the newest Porsche you can afford!"

• Upvote 1

My 09 C4S with PDK is my daily driver. It will have 60,000 miles on it in about three weeks. So far no problems with the PDK. I have never wished I had a manual transmission instead of the PDK.

Every time I set the PDK to shift with the paddles on the steering wheel and I put my foot into the accelerator I am amazed at the virtually instantaneous shifts that occur when I hit the paddles.

There is no way that a human could shift a manual transmission as fast as the PDK will shift. It is very impressive technology. Plus with PDK you can experience gut wrenching wide open throttle 6,000 RPM launch starts with all four wheels straining to break loose from the asphalt. It's an experience that will get your adrenaline pumping and nearly always causes passengers to say something like "Holy Shi#!" or perhaps "WTF!"

I love the PDK. I would buy it again.

For what it is worth, Nissan is using a similar transmission if the GTR.

No matter which transmission you choose, you will still be driving a dream car that will be a tremendous thrill to drive.

MWS