Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My 06 Cayenne S when parked in the garage after driving leaves a heavy smell of raw fuel. I have investigated this but their is no fuel to be found only the smell. Using the most advanced tool (my nose) I own to track this down I think that it is coming from the fuel tank as an oily residue is slightly visible trailing down one of the tank straps. Has anyone ever had a leak from this location? I suspect a leaking fuel pump / fuel sending unit gasket or o ring? It looks like quite a task to drop the tank with all of the exhaust, suspension, and driveline in the way.... Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Not a common fault at all. Does it worsen when filling the tank or if it's full? A fuel leak is nothing to ignore so I recommend taking it in and getting it sorted asap. The vapour is collected and a closed system but if there was a fault in this system you would have a check engine light which you don't mention.

The tank isn't removed - the access plates above the tank under the rear seat are. You can access both the filter and the fuel-pressure-regulator from there - and see what is leaking. It's a bad idea to leave your leaking Cayenne in the garage.. you don't really want your garage to go up in flames right?

The tank isn't removed - the access plates above the tank under the rear seat are. You can access both the filter and the fuel-pressure-regulator from there - and see what is leaking. It's a bad idea to leave your leaking Cayenne in the garage.. you don't really want your garage to go up in flames right?

Thanks "deilenburger" i have now downloaded the "fuel actuation" manual that shows me the location of the access plates, this should make things much easier to troubleshoot. and yeah your right once i found that the fuel smell was from the Cayenne shes been parked outside til i get to the bottom of the issue. Have you been into these access panels before?

I haven't done it myself - but I was there when the dealer was opening them up. You need to remove the center seat-belt mounts - they cover part of the access port... you'll need triple-square drivers for that task. You also need a big screwdriver and hammer, or the correct VW/Porsche tool to remove the locking rings that hold the parts in the tank. Most people here use the screwdriver/hammer technique.

HTH, at least removing the access covers (after you cut the carpet - there is a faint embossed outline on the carpet showing where to cut) will tell you which side is leaking. If you replace one, I'd replace both. Things like this love to fail right after you fix it's twin.. and run the tank low before starting the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a common fault at all. Does it worsen when filling the tank or if it's full? A fuel leak is nothing to ignore so I recommend taking it in and getting it sorted asap. The vapour is collected and a closed system but if there was a fault in this system you would have a check engine light which you don't mention.

I recently had the raw fuel smell issue on my 2006 S. Dealer said that it was a fairly common problem here in AZ with the severe heat. The fuel pressure regulator gasket had deteriorated and was leaking. The replaced that as well as the gaskets for the two strainers. Fixed under CPO warranty.

• 1 month later...

My piece of crap 04S had a fuel smell as well. Then it became a large fuel leak. Enough that the fire dept was called.

The top of the fuel filter had a crack. When i filled up the car it overflowed. Ended up being a $500 fix. I tried to get the

dealer to fix it under the 10 year emission warranty but that didn't happen. The tank is only 2 years. Or something like

that. Anyway it isn't a big deal to fix yourself. My car was already there and in pieces. Plus i was getting dizzy driving it.

• 2 years later...

Perhaps an inappropriate question for this forum, so please excuse if so. I just experienced this issue on my 2006 Cayenne S. The repair was around $1000.00 -- mostly labor. Does that sound reasonable, or did I get taken?

I just had this done as well, cost at dealer in my area (Southern California) was $784.92

Edited by hthighway

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the delay -- was going to attach the parts list, but the site didn't like jpg images.  Here is what my dealer supposedly replaced:

• 1x 955-620-421-00  Flange with Fuel Fil   @ $174.36
  • 1x 955-620-911-00  Angled Pipe, Fuel.     @ $18.50
  • 1x 955-620-841-10  Tank flange w/ Pressr  @ $189.16
  • 2x 955-201-133-01 Sealing Ring, Flange     @ $16.51
  • Labor:  $507.50