Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dension Gateway 500 GW51MO2 question

Your entire multiple CD player will be out of the MOST [fiber] loop and no longer part of PCM -- the iPod emulates the multiple CD player. The Denison manual covers it and you can read a ton of info on this forum. Search "iPod."

You can place a Bluetooth adapter on the male end of any iPod cable connected to your vehicle be it Denison or Mobridge, etc. It's a very cool and elegant solution. I just got one (Cartronics Anystream) and it works beautifully. I'm surprised these are not used more often. They work with any Bluetooth device -- phones, iPods, etc.

This is what I got: http://www.cartronics.com/POM.html

I use it on in my VW GTI ('03) and on a stand-alone speaker system at home. I plug in the Anystream device (it's about the size of a pack of matches) to any iPod jack/cable and stream Bluetooth audio from my iPod Touch. It's so basic -- and the Anystream can move around with you. It leverages the Bluetooth headphone pairing protocol. Audio quality is excellent. I use it to stream audio from my iPad to the car stereo when my 3-year-old is watching video on the iPad.

Never had a problem -- the Anystream is powered via the iPod cable.

Folks, is it the Dension 500 that allows you to keep the CD changer function (just loosing disk 6?) and I seem to recall there being a bluetoof adaptor available for it also.

TIA!

post-41432-0-46816600-1315513590_thumb.j

The Cartronics (which appears to be a kit with a Mobrige interface) is almost twice the price of the Dension..

I found this statement on Dension's website: http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-iPhone-car-adapters/iPod-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/gateway-500 "Gateway 500 emulates a CD changer, but has a switch which allows you to swap between the Gateway and the changer."

According to BumperPlugs - who is a dealer - this works on a Cayenne. Sounds also like the Dension will use a USB memory stick as a source, which the Mobridge apparently dosen't. Since I have lots of CD's I haven't bothered moving to MPEG format - and lots of CD cartridges - this sounds like a better (and cheaper) solution for me.

The Cartronice item (Bluetooth interface) I note above is agnostic to any system -- it simply plugs into any iPod/iPhone cable. it's a $79 item and well worth it. As I note, you can move it from cars to portable speakers, etc. As it happens I use it on a Denison system in my VW. Visit the Cartronics site and hopefully it will make sense to what I posted earlier.

As to switching between the Denison and the CD changer everything I've read about Porsche MOST systems is you need to eliminate the CD changer section of the loop to use an iPod but you can research more and determine.

If you install please let us know how it works. It would be great to keep the CD changer active and have an active iPod inerface.

The Cartronics (which appears to be a kit with a Mobrige interface) is almost twice the price of the Dension..

I found this statement on Dension's website: http://www.dension.c...its/gateway-500 "Gateway 500 emulates a CD changer, but has a switch which allows you to swap between the Gateway and the changer."

According to BumperPlugs - who is a dealer - this works on a Cayenne. Sounds also like the Dension will use a USB memory stick as a source, which the Mobridge apparently dosen't. Since I have lots of CD's I haven't bothered moving to MPEG format - and lots of CD cartridges - this sounds like a better (and cheaper) solution for me.

• Upvote 1

As to switching between the Denison and the CD changer everything I've read about Porsche MOST systems is you need to eliminate the CD changer section of the loop to use an iPod but you can research more and determine.

If you install please let us know how it works. It would be great to keep the CD changer active and have an active iPod inerface.

According to both Dension and BumperPlugs - on the Cayenne you can keep the changer and have the iPod interface. The Gateway 500 has a switch assembly (looks like it also has audio phone plug inputs of some type) - with a simple switch on it. Flipping the switch takes the Gateway out of the MOST loop, and apparently allows the headunit to then recognize the CD changer again (and it's also done if you take it in for service so the MOST net doesn't show an unknown device.)

There are some specific switch positions on the GW51M02 shown for the PCM with CD-Changer enabled. If you go to Dension's website - they have a PDF of the installation sheet that shows most of this. I think BumperPlugs has a more detailed installation instructions for a Cayenne.

Total cost with a Dension BlueToof interface from BumperPlugs is $500 for the Gateway and BlueToof - and it comes with an iPod cable, and it looks like a standard USB extension cable (for those of us who haven't moved to iPods yet - but have lots of MP3 USB sticks and players kicking around.) According to the writeup on it - it can even use the PCM 2.1 to display the folder structure on a memory stick - name a folder as an album name (and it appears then as the CD name) and name the songs inside the folder (they show as the track names.)

Looks like a good solution.. have to think of what I have kicking around to sell so SWMBO won't notice I bought it.. :huh: Anyone need any BMW M3 winter rims and tires? Don't have the M3 anymore (gotta get off my butt and take some pics and sell these puppies.. they're just taking up space in the garage.)

gateway500mostdualfotinstallguide1.pdf

Hi -- I get your point. I was thinking you meant a person could easily switch from iPod/other to CD changer via PCM as they drove along. Yes indeed, you can bypass the Denison (or Mobridge) for service and other reasons, the hassle is you need to do the switching on the device (and usually cycle the ignition off and on) and the device is mounted under the dash or in a place that's inaccessible while driving. But the Denison has the accessory mode selector which is really cool. You could place that selector in an easy to reach position.

Let us know how the Denison works. I like the USB port a lot -- as you say, music on USB thumb drives is nice.

<You must set the mode selector switchto service mode (bypass, CD Changer)position otherwise the servicecomputer may detect an unknowndevice in the fibre optic system whichcan lead to errors reported.>

According to both Dension and BumperPlugs - on the Cayenne you can keep the changer and have the iPod interface. The Gateway 500 has a switch assembly (looks like it also has audio phone plug inputs of some type) - with a simple switch on it. Flipping the switch takes the Gateway out of the MOST loop, and apparently allows the headunit to then recognize the CD changer again (and it's also done if you take it in for service so the MOST net doesn't show an unknown device.)

There are some specific switch positions on the GW51M02 shown for the PCM with CD-Changer enabled. If you go to Dension's website - they have a PDF of the installation sheet that shows most of this. I think BumperPlugs has a more detailed installation instructions for a Cayenne.

Total cost with a Dension BlueToof interface from BumperPlugs is $500 for the Gateway and BlueToof - and it comes with an iPod cable, and it looks like a standard USB extension cable (for those of us who haven't moved to iPods yet - but have lots of MP3 USB sticks and players kicking around.) According to the writeup on it - it can even use the PCM 2.1 to display the folder structure on a memory stick - name a folder as an album name (and it appears then as the CD name) and name the songs inside the folder (they show as the track names.)

Looks like a good solution.. have to think of what I have kicking around to sell so SWMBO won't notice I bought it.. :huh: Anyone need any BMW M3 winter rims and tires? Don't have the M3 anymore (gotta get off my butt and take some pics and sell these puppies.. they're just taking up space in the garage.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Dension 500 on my Cayenne and the CD changer plugged inn still. However there is a switch included in the set which i have had installed under the steering wheel which switches the CD changer in and out of the loop. When turned off, its like the Dension was not installed in the MOST loop at all. It also has a reset button which comes in handy sometimes when you are linking bluetooth, ipads, etc to the poor little Dension box. Sometimes it becomes a little too much and it needs a little reset ;)