Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control won't turn on

Hi.

The cruise control on my 99 Boxster is not working. The cruise control indicator light on the dash will turn on when I park the car and

will stay on as long as the gear is in parking "P" position. It will also stay on when I back up the car (gear in "R" position).

When I shift the gear to "D" and start to drive, the cruise control indicator on the dash will turn off right away.

Where should I start to look for the problem? Does the car has cruise control module somewhere?

Thanks.

Steve

Cruise control is in the cluster, there is no module as in some cars. If you do a search on how to install the cruise control or add it to a car you'll find a tutorial on how it gets wired. Yours is different from most faults I've read. There is a fuse that supplies power.

If you turn the cruise off on the stalk, turn the car off and then start it, shift to drive, can you turn the light on then?

I believe the cruise is only enabled in drive. So the light going off, kind of stumps me.

How long has it been since you replaced your ignition switch? A bad switch will send you a regular witch hunt of weird problems. I've replace two recently in my two Boxsters...

2000S ...My radio would not turn off when I turned the car off and removed the key ( it should play for 10-15 seconds or so) and the interior light would not go out.

1998...All my climate controls quit working occasionally when I would start the car and then work fine the next time. Radio would work fine one time and then have no power next time I started the car.

All were solved by installing new ignition switches. For a $15 investment and an hours worth of your time, you might want to try replacing the switch and see if it helps.

Edited by dghii

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Found the problem. It was the brake pedal switch (The one just above the brake pedal).

I had a problem of not being able to shift the gear when the car is at "P" position.

So I bought a cheap (not OEM) brake pedal switch and installed it. The brand is called Facet and it does fix the shifting problem but after I installed

it, the cruise control stopped working.

Today, I installed my old part back and it wouldn't shift again as I expected but guess what the cruise control is working again.

So the problem is definitely the faulty brake pedal switch.

It's very interesting that brake pedal switch also controls the cruise control.

Steve