Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN IMS Upgrade

I'm working with a friend on his MY00 Boxster S that recently had a LN IMS Upgrade by a qualified Indy. The mechanic did not use the Camshaft lock tools that came with the kit. What if any should we be concerned with or be looking for to determine any faults with this installation? Can Durametric read any Actual Values that might help?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

I'm working with a friend on his MY00 Boxster S that recently had a LN IMS Upgrade by a qualified Indy. The mechanic did not use the Camshaft lock tools that came with the kit. What if any should we be concerned with or be looking for to determine any faults with this installation? Can Durametric read any Actual Values that might help?

Thanks in advance!

Normally, we like to run a profile on the Durametric prior and post installation; just to verify that the cams are were they belong.

The car in question is a five chain motor, which is more tolerant of IMS bearing install screw ups, but not immune. Logray is on the money as far as looking at the cams, but if you have access to a Durametric, I would hook it up and look at the cam deviation values, both of which should be rock steady and idle and +/- 6 degrees. The actual values are always an odd set of numbers, but they need to be in that +/- 6 degree range. The Durametric is a much quicker and a very accurate way to check this out.

In the future, if an Indy suggests "we don't need no cam locking tools", run…………..

Here is a picture of my cam deviation post IMS bearing upgrade. Prior to the bearing replacement I had .60 degrees difference deviation between bank 1 and bank 2. Another improvement was the idle, it became smoother and it increased ~150 RPM.

post-1-0-43716500-1316696752_thumb.png

Edited by Loren
made image viewable here

• Moderators

Page 69 of Diagnosis to 45 for Boxster 986 says +/- 4 degrees. Interesting.

camdeviation.png

I think a couple of things changed; originally, the early five chain motors were +/- 4 degrees, and were pretty good at meeting and holding the range. The switch to the three chain design and the later VarioCam Plus seems to cause more cam deviation, so the value was moved. In reality, early or late motors seem to do just fine as long as they stay within the +/- 6 range, so a lot of dealers and shops started using that as the “default” range for everything.