Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how serious are these inspection issues?

this is from a PPI on a 97 manual boxster

Code 174 camshaft adjustment bank (cleared).

Play in N/S/R drop link

Rear main oil seal leaking.

Intermediate shaft flange leaking.

Sump leaking oil.

Engine coil packs cracked.

Engine oil leak (bank 4-6) requires further investigation.

Slight leak from cylinder head 1-3 (requires further investigation)

help appreciated

in context - the car has been sitting in a garage unused for 6 months

Edited by P-Car Fanatic

• Admin

You didn't say how many miles on the car. So, if they fix all the items under warranty/goodwill then you might be ok. Otherwise, IMHO - I would pass.

Code 174 camshaft adjustment bank (cleared) -- Most likely a bad Hall sensor on one of the camshafts.

Play in N/S/R drop link -- worn bushings, but makes wonder about other suspension wear.

Rear main oil seal leaking -- needs to be fixed.

Intermediate shaft flange leaking -- needs to be fixed with RMS.

Sump leaking oil -- only seen this once before - is there a crack or damage?

Engine coil packs cracked -- Usually don't crack on their own. Perhaps they were over-tightened?

Engine oil leak (bank 4-6) requires further investigation -- most likely a cam cover.

Slight leak from cylinder head 1-3 (requires further investigation) -- same thing most likely a cam cover.

• Admin

Likely, best to do this in person (IMHO) and getting angry or threats will likely not work. If you have a history of doing business with them or have had numerous problems with your car in the past they may feel they want to keep your future business and offer to "goodwill" some of the work. Or... you might convince them to take it as a trade? Then they would do repairs at their cost with the hope of selling the car for more money. Good Luck!

I would say doubtful... my car has had all those leaks (except for the sump) fixed under warranty and they are all known issues (again, except for the sump).

hmm

beore i bought this car 8000 miles ago i had a ppi by a opc - nothing came up with the exception of a small leak that would be fixed in the service

from experience do i have any recourse with the OPC?

• Admin
the camshaft adjustment clerared itself
The you can hope it doesn't come back.

the sump issue it the gasket leaking apparently an easy fix
The sump is sealed with Drei Bond silicone type 1209 (000 043 203 7). So, all the oil must be drained and both the sump cover and mating surface needs to be cleaned and new silicone sealer applied.

Engine coil packs cracked - how important is it to fix these?
If a cracked coil gets wet (and these are next to the tires) then it will short and cause misfires.

If you do not want to fix these things then sell the car "as is" - if your local laws allow that.

Why don't you trade it in?  This way, the dealer will fix it right and it'll cost them less money to do so then you.

I'd get a quote from dealer for trade in to see if it makes sense to fix or not.  I'd venture your fix is $1-2K.  Dealers usually milk you for $3-4k.

i already have a 911, trade in is not an option right now

cheers for the suggestions