Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Urgent Matter

I took my car for a ride after replaced the sway bar drop links and everything was fine until I note that the RPM's was slowing down after each red light in downtown, after few red lights the car sudden drop in RPM's stall the engine twice then I turn off the air conditioning and the RPM's improve in a way that doesn't matter much. I took the car home for a check up and let car run in the garage, everything was fine except the a strong plastic burned odor form the engine compartment, couldn't see anything except plastic residues in the engine lid, I immediately thought that something was making friction the pulley so I decide to remove Air Filter off and found this. :huh: . Something is melt in this part here label 996.126.011.51. Need your advice guys.

post-9236-0-54740800-1317238840_thumb.jp

post-9236-0-08589700-1317238969_thumb.jp

A/C works, I haven't remove the serpentine belt yet and verify that, But it runs when engine in ON.

Possibly something got caught in the A/C pulley or perhaps something in the a/c pulley.

Does the A/C work? Can you spin the A/C pulley freely by hand with the serpentine belt removed?

Edited by jose

• Admin

Removal

1. Use a standard strap wrench to securely hold the pressure plate, and undo the fastening screw.

post-1-0-97332900-1317245629.png

2. Screw a screw M8 into the thread of the pressure plate until the pressure plate can be removed manually. Remove the spacer washers.

3. Use standard Seeger circlip ring pliers to remove the Seeger circlip ring. Manually remove the belt pulley.

4. Unscrew the cable of the magnetic coil from the compressor housing. Remove the Seeger circlip ring. Remove the magnetic coil from the compressor housing.

Installation

1. Place the magnetic coil on the compressor housing. The locking pin must engage in the locking hole.

post-1-0-40737400-1317245630.png

2. Install the Seeger circlip ring. The slanted surface (arrow) of the Seeger circlip ring faces upwards (to the fastening screw).

post-1-0-79660500-1317245630.png

3. Tighten the pressure plate fastening screw.

Tightening torque: 10 ftlb.

Check the air gap of the magnet coupling

1. Check the air gap between the pressure plate and belt pulley with a depth gauge.

post-1-0-26085900-1317245631.png

2. Place a rule on the outer edge of the belt pulley.Use a depth gauge to measure up to the pressure plate. Apply battery voltage to the magnetic coupling and measure the distance (air gap) to the attracted pressure plate. Always measure at at least three points on the pressure plate in order to obtain a mean value. Distance: 0.5 mm +- 0.15 mm

3. If the air gap is not in the tolerance range, it must be adjusted with the aid of the spacer washers.

• Upvote 1

Are you confirming that the compressor clutch need to be replaced? sorry, I don't know what is the brng , brng=berings?

Thanks for the help

It's the brng that is failing and damaged the clutch assembly.

Edited by jose

What's the chance that the air compressor clutch it self can be damage together with the air compressor? Right now, I can't tell if the air compressor is damage. I'm looking straight to replace only the air compressor clutch.

• Moderators

There is a good change that the compressor starts to hang by excessive internal resistance caused by too much or too little oil, failing AC system, etc. or simple a bad bearing. Let check this it out first.

Thanks, Now that you mention oil quantities in the air compressor system, that will be my second step, check the oil.

There is a good change that the compressor starts to hang by excessive internal resistance caused by too much or too little oil, failing AC system, etc. or simple a bad bearing. Let check this it out first.

Edited by jose

When you try to turn the A/C on, does the clutch engage? If it is not engaging when you hit the snowflake button, it may just be low on refrigerant. They are typically designed not to allow the clutch to engage if the refrigerant pressure is low. If that is the case, you need to have it serviced.

• Upvote 1

well, not good here, as soon as I put more refrigerant the air compressor start and broke the air compressor clutch again. Definetly this is an entire air compressor replacement plus will need to tow to the mechanic. :huh:

Oh no! Well at least you gave it the ol' college effort right?

I remember seeing a service in the UK that would go door to door and suck all the gas out of the system, then you could do whatever repair you needed to and then they would come back, charge the system and test/repair for leaks.