Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Order Auto Dimming mirrors option?

A couple of 997 owners on this site have praised the Auto-dimming

mirror option.....looking for a few more opinions from anyone

with or without the option.

I need to decide asap for my 997S build.

Does the Auto-dim option affect all three mirrors (interior + both exterior)?

I could track snow into my dealer's showroom to see for myself, but

without the Auto-dim option-- are both side mirrors somewhat tinted anyway, & there's gotta be a manual-dim switch on interior rear-view mirror, right?

thanks in advance.

Paul

https://secure.niello.com/cgi/porsche/build_2005c4s

P11 Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor Self-Dimming Side and Rearview Mirrors. Includes integrated rain sensor with six-stage control for automatic wiper interval $705

https://secure.niello.com/cgi/porsche/build_2005c2s

267 Self Dimming Mirrors $385

Go for it - should be rearview and driver side sideview. Don't know about passenger side unless you have the memory option (package only?)

I think the rearview mirror should be standard on all cars, especially on pricey cars. If you ever had a car with it you would never want a car without it.

Autodimming rearview mirror is a must, side mirrors are a maybe. If you position your sideview mirror correctly, you should never see the car behind you, but only the car besides you - and as long as you are in the fast lane, there is only the center divider. I have coated sideview mirrors in another car, and it suffices.

I also like the memory position of the mirrors (rearview and sidemirror), handy especially when you have multiple drivers. Don't know if Porsche has the autotilt in reverse - that is a very useful feature to have.

I have a 997S that was already optioned out at the dealer and I don't have the auto dim option on my rear view mirror. This is insane on a $90,000 + car! It shoud be standard and is really a pain driving at night without it. I wear glasses and with the glare I already get from headlights both in front and now in back really bother me. Flipping the lever just blackens out everything and I like more feedback on who is tailing me especially if I have to slam on the brakes. I've managed a few rear end misses on occasion when I need to hit the brakes hard and side step the car to a safe side in order to avoid a rear collision (you know how good Porsche brakes are). By all means get the option from the factory! Now in order to replace my standard unit it it will cost 3 X more than if it were ordered as an option from the factory (there is a $300 or more dollar harness that I must get also, not to mention the installation). Total cost will be well over $1000. My $20K Silverado pickup truck comes standard with this option. On the bright side I love the car and with 2500 miles have not had a single problem to date. But Porsche, why does this luxury car come with a transmitter that will "learn" your garage door opener and house lights codes yet not have a standard safety item like an auto dimming rear view mirror? Makes no sense to me at all. Cheers! :(

• 1 year later...

HI,

I have the dimmer mirrors and they work. My daughter

really likes it when the passenger mirror dims. My brother

tinted his windows which effects the dimmer. The dimmer sensor

is in the rearview mirror. His side view mirrors do not dim like

they were designed for.

Paul

I guess I'm the contrarian here. I have the auto-dimming mirrors and I have not had them on in ages. For me, the image in the mirrors is just too dark when activated. I'd rather have the little flicky lever for when an SUV pulls up behind me.

Hi,

You have the cooliest looking car.

Paul

I guess I'm the contrarian here. I have the auto-dimming mirrors and I have not had them on in ages. For me, the image in the mirrors is just too dark when activated. I'd rather have the little flicky lever for when an SUV pulls up behind me.