Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to Sync my Convertible Top?

Hello guys!

I have a 1997 Boxster. I recently had it painted and the canvass top removed and the plastic window replaced by my local upholstery shop. All was okay but when the top was reinstalled by the shop several problems had occured. These are:

1. The Top Light at the gauge cluster still remains lit whether fully closed or fully opened.

2. The Sensors in the latch are I think okay because when I open the lid atop the windshield, the windows roll 3-4 inches down as what I have read from previous posts here.

3. The edge of the canvass does not fall inside the guide channel on the right side just before the top closes.

4. A loud banging sound is heard at the read area of the cables (sometimes left, sometimes right side) just after the top closes.

Obviously the shop people are not pro's when dealing with convertible tops and might be way out of sync. Now I just want to sync everything properly right from the start just to be sure everything is in order.

Can anyone please give me a guide on how to completely sync my convertible top to make it function 100% properly. A guide with pics is the best since I am really new at this and I am not familiar with part names, descriptions etc.

I know this is the best place to get the infos I need as my friend suggested. Kindly consider my request. This would help me a lot and also a valuable read for a lot of forumers here with the 986.

I am hoping for your kind consideration on my request.

Thank you for your support guys!

Hello guys!

I have a 1997 Boxster. I recently had it painted and the canvass top removed and the plastic window replaced by my local upholstery shop. All was okay but when the top was reinstalled by the shop several problems had occured. These are:

1. The Top Light at the gauge cluster still remains lit whether fully closed or fully opened.

2. The Sensors in the latch are I think okay because when I open the lid atop the windshield, the windows roll 3-4 inches down as what I have read from previous posts here.

3. The edge of the canvass does not fall inside the guide channel on the right side just before the top closes.

4. A loud banging sound is heard at the read area of the cables (sometimes left, sometimes right side) just after the top closes.

Obviously the shop people are not pro's when dealing with convertible tops and might be way out of sync. Now I just want to sync everything properly right from the start just to be sure everything is in order.

Can anyone please give me a guide on how to completely sync my convertible top to make it function 100% properly. A guide with pics is the best since I am really new at this and I am not familiar with part names, descriptions etc.

I know this is the best place to get the infos I need as my friend suggested. Kindly consider my request. This would help me a lot and also a valuable read for a lot of forumers here with the 986.

I am hoping for your kind consideration on my request.

Thank you for your support guys!

Gunman:

#3 is probably being caused by the velcro straps not being re-fastened when the canvas was being re-installed by the shop. Take a look at this DIY article on Mike Focke's website for photos and details on how to fasten them properly around the round metal tube part of the convertible top frame near the top rear corner of the window (if the window was all the way up): http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

#4 is being caused by the over-rotation of the V-Levers at the end of each cycle (i.e., completely closed or completely open). In your '97, there is a half-moon gear inside the transmission (one on the left and one on the right side) with 50 teeth. When the gear rotates past the 50th tooth, it is pulled SHARPLY back by the large spring inside the "hydraulic" looking pushrod which is attached to one side of the V-lever.

To start the process of re-synching the transmissions, take a look at the part III PDF in the following DIY, specifically the text at the bottom of page 38, and 39, along with the photo at page 39 and follow the measurements there: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply Maurice!

#3 is already solved. Had to put the canvass plastic guide underneath the leaf springs so they are pushed by them and keep it on guide. Everything falls into the guide when closing.

#4 still remains a problem. I will have to sync it tomorrow based on the link/s you provided. I hope I could do it properly hehe.

I still have no idea on how to fix the #1

Gunman, what leaf springs are you talking about? Got a pic?

Coleta:

I'm guessing Gunman is referring to the finger springs that are located on the B-Pillars. If they lose tension, the cables will fall outside of the channels when closing the top, so they can be inverted to increase the tension.

There is a photo and an explanation on Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Specifically take a look at the section numbered "2." .

Regards, Maurice.