Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Blinking CEL ?

All I need your advice, i have a history with my MY97 2.5, i had regular problems with my CEL turning on and I got teh 1126 ( running lean / rich ) or problems with my oxygen sensors before and after cat, and i had some problems with oil leakage on the engine...

I replaced the AOS ( with the .. 04 model ) replaced al my O2 sensors and air sensor.. When i replaced the AOS last week my car stopped leaking oil which is great news, however it did not resolve my issue as the CEL came back on after 300 miles...but this is what happend today !!

I am driving up north about 400 miles (my sisters house) and when I was almost there I did a few over-takes with high RPM's after this, my car didnt want to accelerate and it almost stalled when driving it, when i released the accelerator it stalled when going idle and i had to keep it on 2000 rpm to keep it running, also at this time the CEL was blinking and i lost all acceleration power.., I pulled over and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery but that didnt resolve the issue, although it is now running idle again but very rough and not shutting down.. the CEL is now blinking on off sometimes it does it and sometimes it just is " normally " on and at least i have some acceleration again ...

My question as I dont have any tools with me, can i keep driving it back home (400 miles) ? it seems to be handeling pretty normal again (at least driveable) but i am afraid of the blinking CEL which appeared earlier..

• Moderators

Mistake #1: Blinking CEL means pull over, shut the car off, and have it towed to the shop; something more serious has occurred.

Mistake #2: Never, repeat, never disconnect the battery to clear a blinking CEL; in doing so, you have lost all the critical diagnostic information pointing to what is wrong that was stored in the DME. Get the car towed into a shop, get it scanned.

Without the codes, any supposition as to what is wrong is purely a guess....................

Edited by JFP in PA

Mistake #1: Blinking CEL means pull over, shut the car off, and have it towed to the shop; something more serious has occurred.

Mistake #2: Never, repeat, never disconnect the battery to clear a blinking CEL; in doing so, you have lost all the critical diagnostic information pointing to what is wrong that was stored in the DME. Get the car towed into a shop, get it scanned.

My cel is now not blinking anymore, can i still drive it back?

Without the codes, any supposition as to what is wrong is purely a guess....................

• Moderators

Without knowing what the codes are, you have no idea if or when it is going to start blinking again. You don't need a PIWIS or Durametric system, any OBD II compliant scanner will tell you exactly what is going on. From your first post, it sounds like the car went into "limp" mode (the DME sets a relatively low engine RPM limit to prevent doing more damage), that usually does not happen without a damned good reason....................

If it were my car, I’d have it scanned before I did anything else. You could very well get a few kilometers down the road, out in the middle of nowhere, and it could start flashing, or worse.

• Moderators

Alright i was lucky i had the cable in my car and was able to find the software - looks like the 02 sensor on the back is bad? how is that possilbe it has just been replaced?

In general, bad O2 sensors do on cause a car to misfire, which you seem to have on all cylinders on one side of the engine. The O2 sensor code, however, can be the result of this type misfire event.

Edited by JFP in PA
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators

According to the OBD II diagnostics manual the O2 code (P0130) is an electrical fault code, meaning that the sensor is not in the correct voltage range, or is shorted. The sensor and its heater need to be checked for the correct voltage readings, and the wiring harness and connectors need to be looked at and tested for continuity, presence of shorts to ground, and the correct voltages. If the sensor fails the test, it needs to be replaced. If the sensor voltages are correct, and the wiring is OK, the next stop is check the DME, which may have developed a fault.

As for driving the car, that is up to you. Without "eyes and hands on", and electrical test of the sensor and harness, I really have no way to advise you on how to proceed. As I mentioned, I have not seen an O2 sensor force an entire bank of cylinders to misfire simultaneously, and if it starts doing that again, it would be both a very long journey and would probably cause collateral damage to the car as well......

Edited by JFP in PA

Well I followed your advice, checked the o2 sensor but it was dry and there were no signs of rust or oil or anything really, so just to be on the safe I let my car pickup and tow it to the dealer today, when it was riding up to the truck it was burping like crazy... to be continued..

Well I followed your advice, checked the o2 sensor but it was dry and there were no signs of rust or oil or anything really, so just to be on the safe I let my car pickup and tow it to the dealer today, when it was riding up to the truck it was burping like crazy... to be continued..

Yes, good decision!

OK - report from the garage, big vacuum leaks around the o rings caused the problems, also the Air Volume Sensor? was faulty not sure yet if there is catalyc converter damage but it seems to be ok ....... :eek: