Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Cabriolet top passenger tension cable appears loose

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to the forum. I searched but can not find a solution to my issue.

Yesterday I noticed a small gap on the passenger side top where the tension cable is being pulled towards the middle leaving a small gap. Does anyone know to properly tighten this cable so it will stay in the "groove" where it belongs when the top is up?

Thank you

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to the forum. I searched but can not find a solution to my issue.

Yesterday I noticed a small gap on the passenger side top where the tension cable is being pulled towards the middle leaving a small gap. Does anyone know to properly tighten this cable so it will stay in the "groove" where it belongs when the top is up?

Thank you

toma:

It is usually not a matter of tightening the cable, but rather making sure that the various straps that pull on the edges of the top to bring them towards the center are intact and attached.

Open the top a little less than half way, and check the "tubular" rods that are part of the frame mechanism to make sure that the velcro straps have not torn away from where they are stitched into the canvas top edge. If they are intact, make sure that they are wrapped around the metal tube that is almost vertical when the top is about half way open. There are usually two sets of velcro straps on each side. For reference, you can take a look at the side that is functioning properly.

If the top is similar in construction to that of a 987, also check out this post for another two possibilities: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/39764-new-convertible-top-problems/page__fromsearch__1

Specifically look at post #6 in that thread.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I checked the straps and everything appears to be identical on both sides. The place where the "gap" is being created has a strap (that stretches) which is the one pulling the tension cord. It goes all the way to the other side and the pressure appears to be about the same on both sides. The one on the drivers side fits down in the groove but the other side does not. That's why I assumed that the cord on the passenger side was loose or something. I found where it is anchored in the back, and it is tight when I pull on it so I don't think it is broken. Any other ideas, I hate to have to take it some place for something that seems pretty simple?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I checked the straps and everything appears to be identical on both sides. The place where the "gap" is being created has a strap (that stretches) which is the one pulling the tension cord. It goes all the way to the other side and the pressure appears to be about the same on both sides. The one on the drivers side fits down in the groove but the other side does not. That's why I assumed that the cord on the passenger side was loose or something. I found where it is anchored in the back, and it is tight when I pull on it so I don't think it is broken. Any other ideas, I hate to have to take it some place for something that seems pretty simple?

Thanks again,

Tom

Tom:

Some of these tensioning straps are attached to elastic bands that have adjustment holes spaced about every inch along their length, as in the one in the link that I posted above.

If there are no adjustment holes (whereby you could effectively "shorten" the strap, i.e., thereby increasing the tension), I would try to shorten that side of the strap by an inch or so at a time to see if it pulls the cable into the groove. You could temporarily shorten the strap by pulling a small length (1/2 inch on each side) loop together and tying it up with some thread. By observing it while the top is going up and down, you will be able to see if it is improving or if that fixes it, and make a permanent repair accordingly.

A lot of these elastic straps inside the convertible tops tend to lose their elasticity over time. If there is still some elasticity left, you could compensate for it this way. If all of the elasticity is gone, the entire strap can be replaced with material from a fabric or craft store.

Regards, Maurice.

This is

what the top looks like. All the straps seem to be in the right place and basically identical for both sides. As you can see the one side is being pulled in from the strap that goes all the way through to the same place on the other tension rope. I checked the rope at the back and it is secure. I now suspect that the rope has somehow come loose on the top and is causing this slack. Does anyone know how to access the rope connection at the front of the top? I can not figure how to access it and can't find anything on line.

Thank you

OK. I guess I can't post pictures here. Here is a link to what my top looks like when it is closed.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/602933-little-problem-with-roof-996-cab.html

It looks like his question was the same as mine. Please let me know how I can safely access the top of the tension rope with out damaging the top.

Thank you

Tom

Hi Peter, It is the original top (I've purchased the car new in 2002). I have never changed the cables and suspect it is broken and not simply disconnected. However, I am trying to figure out how to access the top of the cable to see what's going on. I downloaded the Group 6 996 exterior manual but can not find how to get at this cable ending. Does anyone have a manual that shows or has anyone had experience checking/fixing it?

Hi Peter, It is the original top (I've purchased the car new in 2002). I have never changed the cables and suspect it is broken and not simply disconnected. However, I am trying to figure out how to access the top of the cable to see what's going on. I downloaded the Group 6 996 exterior manual but can not find how to get at this cable ending. Does anyone have a manual that shows or has anyone had experience checking/fixing it?

Tom:

If it's not any of the elastic straps that are supposed to pull the tension cable inboard, then the tension cable itself is either broken (unlikely) or has come undone from one of its two attachment points: one near the front of the roof, under the canvas, and the other all the way to the rear, behind or under the B-Pillar.

I'm not familiar specifically with the way it's fastened on a 996 top, but you can have a look at how it's fastened on a Boxster top, here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy

Specifically look at the photos and text at paragraphs numbered 5 and 6.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Guys,

I can not tell from the pictures how to access the top tension cable connection under the canvas top. The boxster looks like it might be similar to the 996 but really can not tell how to can access. Can anyone send pictures, instructions or information that would help me access the top connection under the canvas top? I certainly would appreciate it.

Thank you

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a '99 996 with both sides broken at the rivet point where the spring attaches. The rivet rattling around in the channel but I can't figure out where it was attached and how to reattach something to hold the spring. Ideas? Of course, without this cable functioning, the top is very loose and pulling in as described in this thread. This is likely the same issue that other folks are having.

post-57968-0-33547500-1324563228_thumb.j

post-57968-0-67228200-1324563237_thumb.j

Edited by pseasea