Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 idle and power problems

Hello,

I'm new around here.

My name is Ivan.

I have a 996

manual

The problem is that the idle is erratic, ranging between 720 and 830 rpm.

It has electronic throttle, I've cleaned, I have changed o2 sensors, MAF, ignition coils, spark plugs, injector cleaner, and does not improve.

Ever hear the exhaust noise as if a cylinder fails.

MAF Sensor: 24 Kg / h

RKAT: - 4.20

RKAT2: -2.10

CAM DESVIATION: -9,80

Sometimes, when you go, the engine run out of power and you accelerate, gives small explosions from the exhaust.

Excuse my English, but I'm Spanish.

Thanks for all.

I clean the throttle body 4 times, and no improvement.

I have check the camshaft adjustment.

I have found that keeping the engine revs to 2500, I hear the exhaust failure.

How did you verify the camshaft timing? Are you hearing a backfire through the exhaust?

Curious there are no codes. I wonder if one of your variocam actuators is marginal or on it's way out (going bad).

That is pretty far out of time, 9.8 degrees, and since your car sounds like it is ROW, we might not have the other bank's timing information. I would correct the timing and see if it continues to have a slight misfire.

Also did you say you cleaned the injectors (removed, cleaned, and reinstalled), or did you buy new injectors, or did you just use fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank?

A failing cam actuator should not affect the idle. Could be a failing throttle body on an E-gas car. Mine failed this summer after displaying surging, bad idle, etc.

Agree on the throttle body, but if there is a slight miss (at idle and/or higher rpms) I would bet the engine would be a little rumbly and could search a little.

Are you saying that you removed the green plug on the intake cam an with the engine at TDC the slots on the cam are 1.5mm off. If so this is a significant numbers of degrees (remember that the cams only rotate once for every two rotations of the crank.

Sorry my mistake, haven't benn in my engine for awhile now. It is the slots on the end of the exhaust cam that are used to set the timing on 3.4 engines. When the engine is set at TDC on the proper rotation of the crank the slot on the end of the exhaust cam should be straight up and down with the narrow side out. It this is off by 1.5 mm I think that is potentially a significant timing issue, although it is hard for me to visualize exactly what you mean by 1.5mm. But each 1degree of error at the cam is equal to 2 degrees at the crank. Have you checked both sides?

The new E-gas is installed, but the idle still the same.

Corrected adjustment of the camshaft and worse.

Also heard noise in chains to accelerate, when hot.

At startup, once heard, the sound of chains.

The engine has 2347 hours of operation.

Not to do, but the engine runs very poorly, with -9.8 in the camshaft worked better thannow, because the correction has gone from -9.8 to -11.5, I can not understand.

The compression cold are 9 bar and 10.5 bar hot.