Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cracked "side section F" suspension piece

I have a 99 Boxster with a cracked suspension piece that is termed either a “Right Rear Wheel Carrier Inner Support F” or a “Side Section F” piece on the online parts sites. It is shown as item #3 in the diagram below.

Two questions:

1. The part on my car is physically stamped with two numbers:

986 331 152 7R

MBF 34102

I cannot find that part number anywhere – all the online catalogs insist the part is either:

986 331 052 06 – about $500 (ouch)

986 331 052 08 – about $700 (double ouch)

So I can’t tell which if the two above I need (06 or 08) and also can’t figure out why the part number stamped on my actual part does not show up anywhere?

2. Does anyone know how difficult this part is to actually remove and replace? It is bolted directly to the tub and I don’t know if it will be just a simple matter of unbolting or if the attaching stud (part #11) will need to be replaced, etc. Is this something I want to attempt myself or should I take it to the shop to do? Obviously after everything is replaced, I’d get an alignment.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

post-388-0-03453500-1321633369_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Loren,

If I look at used parts, would either 986.331.052.06 or 986.331.052.08 work? Do you know what the difference are?

What about the part number that is stamped on my part (986 331 152 7R) - is that a real part number?

Thanks

Kevin

986 331 152 7R is a sub-assembly or assembly number and not used in the Porsche replacement parts system.

986.331.052.06 was replaced by 986.331.052.08 (with upgraded bolts and eccentric screw) -- and 986.331.052.08 was replaced by 986.331.052.0A.

So 986.331.052.0A is the latest part.

Thanks for the link, logray. I'll definitely look at that part. Loren - do you know if there are any major challenges to know about ahead of time if I try to replace this part myself. It appears that it is just a lot of unbolting and re-bolting. I'll use fresh screws and nuts and get an alignment afterward. Also - do you know where I could find the appropriate torque values for the nuts?

• 1 year later...

Boxster015.jpg

If it's this then it's readily available second hand and is easy to replace. There are two studs that go into the shell that need to come out (They sometimes come out with the two nuts attached to them) and you need to unbolt the rear anti-roll bar (swaybar) and the control arms hat are also attached to it. The 4 studs in the lower end can be punched out if it helps access.

It also has two bolts holding the gearbox mount onto it along with another 2 that go into the black crossmember, remember and support the gearbox and engine!

Edited by Duffy3074
  • Upvote 1