Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all, well I may be the biggest idiot or just a lack of brain cells from not enough meat/tofu in my diet.

I decided last Sat being a wet and gloomy day to do my oil and filter change.

I did the usual, drained tank, removed oil filter housing and oil filter.

After half hour on the drip and replaced oil plug with new oiled washer, fitted new oiled o ring up to the end of the housing to the lip, oiled filter, fitted filter and housing and job done.

Started car and have to say my sporty grunty motor now sounded like my girlfriend,<asleep> no noise.

Ok I guess I cant complain.

I went to a wedding about 40 miles away tonight and when arriving back home noticed my rear I mean right up to my spoiler covered in oil.

Like a kid in a lolley shop I stood there at 130am and starred and starred with thoughts in my head racing to come to a conclusion.

Well after noticing oil spots on the drive in I concluded I had a leak :)

I looked under and you guessed it dripping oil from the base of the filter housing.

Why I asked why what did I do what.

END:- Please give me your thoughts.

Is it as simple as the problem (clue above) that I should not have pushed the o ring right up to the end of the filter

housing and that I should have put it in the groove about 5ml before the end lip? Would that cause a leak in the

housing?

Thank you.

Edited by James-Australia

Hi all, well I may be the biggest idiot or just a lack of brain cells from not enough meat/tofu in my diet.

I decided last Sat being a wet and gloomy day to do my oil and filter change.

I did the usual, drained tank, removed oil filter housing and oil filter.

After half hour on the drip and replaced oil plug with new oiled washer, fitted new oiled o ring up to the end of the housing to the lip, oiled filter, fitted filter and housing and job done.

Started car and have to say my sporty grunty motor now sounded like my girlfriend,<asleep> no noise.

Ok I guess I cant complain.

I went to a wedding about 40 miles away tonight and when arriving back home noticed my rear I mean right up to my spoiler covered in oil.

Like a kid in a lolley shop I stood there at 130am and starred and starred with thoughts in my head racing to come to a conclusion.

Well after noticing oil spots on the drive in I concluded I had a leak :)

I looked under and you guessed it dripping oil from the base of the filter housing.

Why I asked why what did I do what.

END:- Please give me your thoughts.

Is it as simple as the problem (clue above) that I should not have pushed the o ring right up to the end of the filter

housing and that I should have put it in the groove about 5ml before the end lip? Would that cause a leak in the

housing?

Thank you.

The oil ring for the filter goes into the groove on the oil filter housing, not to the end of the filter

housing. Just remove the filter housing and reseat the oil ring into the groove.

Thank you Loren for the information I appreciated your a gem.

I actually came on to edit and include a question that is if I can remove the filter housing and refit it without draining the oil all over again.

I assume from your comment to 'top up' the oil that I can remove the filter housing without a total drain correct?

Thank you again

Thank you all for your coments.

I am a little unhappy today as afer re fitting the o ring correctly and driving the car carefully for about an hour I came home and left the vehicle parked for 4 hours only to go out look under and notice oil droplets hanging of my sump at the rear of the sump right side. More or less the corner in front of the filter.

I hope I have not done any damage.

My oil pressure also sits just under 2 bars now at warm idle so god knows.

Today I got under again and drainned some oil as I noticed the dash reading read full bars. Obviously to much.

That is a little strange though because the manual specifies 8.75 litres and I actually put in 8.50 litres. I drained it pretty well so cant see why it overfilled.

Anyway I have drained it to 1 bar under the full mark so see if I get any more oil dripping.

Hope not.

I like to add about 1 quart/liter less than called for and then allow the oil to drain completely into the sump. Then add until halfway mark on dispstick. Then start the car and run for a few minutes then stop, let it drain for at least 20 and then fill again until it is back to the halfway mark or just slightly above.

Are you sure the filter housing is not cross threaded? And torqued to the right value? I think the torque spec is printed on the bottom of the filter housing.

One time I installed the filter housing and it wasn't tightened down enough, resulting in an oil leak. I think I might have cross threaded it. All it took was removing the filter housing and reinstalling it carefully, making sure that I torqued it properly. If you don't have a filter wrench, I recommend you get one!

filter_wrench.jpg

Hi, yes I managed to buy a torque tool prior to doing the job but I didnt have the proper filter wrench which I have ordered yesterday. I guess I tried to run before I could walk and not use the correct tools. When I took the oil filter housing of to replace the o ring the thread seemed ok and went on easily by hand until the last few turns. Once i recieve the wrench in a week or so I will use the correct torque and see if that all works out. Will post the outcome.Thank you for the input. :eek: :wrench:

James, Not sure if you found this article in the DIY section before you did the oil change, if not it's good to keep on file for next time.

Lots of good info. in that section, another good DIY job is to clean the front radiators, it's amazing how much stuff gets wedged in there.

Hi, thanks for the link great steps. Pretty easy to change the oil I guess but I must say you need the tools to make sure the correct tightness is applied. Funny how Porsche insists on Mobil 1. I managed to buy a box (3 X 5litre) for $180.00 through a wholesaler but now his gone and the cheapest I found was Supercheap auto at $95.00 per 5 litres. Expensive oil for city driving. I wonder if anyone uses another brand like Caltex, etc? Thanks for the link.