Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

what happens if you put 285/30/18 instead of 295 on the rear?

For 295/30/18, the choices are PS2, AD08, CSC2, and others. However, I realize if I go instead with 285/30/18, there's a Federal 595RS-R that is half the price of the usual 295/30/18 choices.

The shop tells me the only thing would be the rims would stick out a little. I'm not exactly sure that he means by that... Can't visualize it. Otherwise, using 285 is completely safe. Is this true?? Any potential issues with the downsizing??

I'm using stock alloy wheels.

Thanks!

D.

With the different diameters, your PSM likely will be kicking in at inappropriate times (even if you don't destroy the diff).

Have you looked at Hankook Ventus V12's? I just put a set on mine at about half the price of the Michelins. Reviews on Rennlist and 6speedonline are mostly positive.

• 4 weeks later...

I run Continental DW Extreme 285/30/18's in the rear and 225/30/18 in the fronts since they don't make 295's.

The difference in diameter of these two tires is almost zero. Car handles great! Did several AutoX and DE's at Road Atlanta on them. They are great tires.

Don't worry about the difference between 295 and 285 - but as others said the diameter differences of your tires front to back.

• 3 years later...

I run Continental DW Extreme 285/30/18's in the rear and 225/30/18 in the fronts since they don't make 295's. The difference in diameter of these two tires is almost zero. Car handles great! Did several AutoX and DE's at Road Atlanta on them. They are great tires. Don't worry about the difference between 295 and 285 - but as others said the diameter differences of your tires front to back.

Hi cannon1000, may I ask you to reconfirm Conti DWs you have (had) on your 996tt? 

225/30/18 does not exist - was this a typo?