Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Considering buying 987 MY06 2.7L

Dear Sirs

I am a new member in the forum and I would like the opportunity to introduce myself!

I am Fotis from Greece and I am considering getting a MY06 Boxter 987 2.7L.

I have a specific car in mind.

You can see a few pictures here:

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/1967762/

What I like about the car:

Optional equipment includes Rain Sensor, CPM 2.1 DVD navi, Xenon lights, black leather seats, park sensors.

What I do not like about it:

It first circulated in Germany in late 2005, and entered Greece in 2007. It practically never entered the official Porsche dealer system.

There are at least 2 previous owners, the German owner and a person that leased it here in Greece. There should be quite a few more people that got to drive it.

The merchant selling it admitted that it had a front impact, but no chassis damage (he claims).

Front bumper paintjob is not top work and the merchant claims that front hood and front driver’s side wheel may have also been replaced.

Few buttons in PCM and clima may be peeling.

A few dents all around.

The two center rear park sensors are a few mm deeper than the two from the external sides.

General comments:

The optional equipment combination appears to be unique for our local market. The price is also good considering the market.

The odometer says 67K km, and the car does not appear to have extremely more mileage. The merchant says he did not mess with the odo, but considering that Euro market is plagued from this practice, it would be wise to treat is as a vehicle with little over 100K km.

The driver’s leather seat has the classic wear on the external back-side support, the controls have some peeling and there are a few dents all around. The cosmetic result of the frontal crash repair is not impressive… The workshop that did the repair belongs to the company that leased and now is selling the car. They also work on MBs, Renaults and other brands and it is not their first Porsche.

My question… Should I run away just by the fact that there is a frontal (minimum or not) impact, or should I investigate further if there is actual chassis damage and make my final decision then?

Please people, I am eager to hear the advice and opinion of the experts and owners!

Thank you in advance!

• Moderators

Positive: MY 06 - electronics and engine are already updated. The overall condition of the car must bee in accordance with the requested price. If i were you i would look around a bit further, given the current situation in Europe and in particular Greece, certainly there will be multiple and better opportunities arise.

Thank you for the replies!!!

I really do appreciate your time and opinion.

I will give you some more details about the market.

The 986 models range from 8,000 euros to 25,000 euros, depending on the MY and conditions/mileage.

MY05 to MY07 987s start from 17,000 to 30,000, again depending on the condition/mileage and optional equipment.

The specific car I am interested in is as you can see from the pictures a well equipped manual. It started a few weeks ago at 21,350 euros and is now 19,400 euros.

I am pretty confident I can get it at 17,000 euros cash!

I went to the local Porsche dealer with the VIN. The checked and told me that the car had a tire change in Germany and 2 passes through their workshop, 1 for a diagnostic check and 1 for preowned checkup.

They told me that even at 15,000 euros they would not consider it a deal!

They showed me this:

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/2005600/

They offer it at 29,000 euros. It is a Porsche factory approved preowned car. The manager used to drive it, which mean pretty much everyone there drove it.

The main differences with the first car is the price difference. Also, the depreciation could amount to almost as much as the current price difference in as much as two years.

The optional trim is almost not comparable.

It has the PCM 2.1, which I love, but, the seats are alcantara, the controls are not peeling but the center console is scratched around the handbreak, and they installed cheapo aftermarket xenons!!! My EOS is silver so I am not too crazy about it being silver, but this is not really a merit.

Also, it is a tiptronic. I own a Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG 7 speed auto, which is the equivalent VAG of the PDK, and I would still not opt for the PDK, much less for a Tiptronic (correct me if I am wrong here).

With the approved preowned, they offer a 1 year factory warranty. After the first year, I can extend it for little less than 2,000 euros!!! (sounds steep) All this, provided that

-I service the car in the Porsche Dealership (which means 1,000 euros for a big service probably including oil and filter change, a couple of inspections and diagnosis *)-

do not exceed 100K kms (not a problem for me)

*a comparable service in a VW Dealership would cost less than 400 euros and in a specialized service station, as little as 150 euros.

For my final questions in order to form my MO for my future inquiries:

1. Should I run away as soon as I see signs of impact?
  2. Should I seek only Factory Approved preowned vehicles?
  3. Is it worth it to service in the Porsche network and extend the warranty?

Thank you in advance!

A happy new year to everyone! This forum is great!

P.S. If I ever get a 987-1, I will post a howto for a Visseo BT unit and a functionality report! It will be the first and only mod I will do to the car.

• 4 months later...

Hi people!

I am still looking for a 987.

What is you opinion of this vehicle?

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/2419019/

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/2419019/

The trim level is almost what I want. (PCM 2.1, leather seats, rain sensor, Xenon, nice wheels)

The 2 things that get me thinking are the Tiptronic and the PASM. I would gladly trade them for a set of parking sensors (remember this is Europe).

-Regarding the Tip, on the pro side, it appears that it could be better for the engine and the reliability record of this engine/tranny combo is said to be better. The Boxster is one of the few cars in our market that one can find so many automatics (probably more than 50% of the cars are auto), while in any other model, it is more like 95% manual.

On the con side for the Tip, my first choice would be a manual, and I already have a vehicle with the VW DSG 7. I am afraid I will be disappointed by the Tip. Also, do you guys think that the Tiptronic suits a roadster or would it dilute the pleasure and overall experience?

-My other concern is the PASM. I consulted a Porsche dealer Tech and he told me that the replacement cost for the shocks is about 3500 euros, but he also commented that it is almost the same for the shocks of the non PASM equipped cars. He was not 100% sure. Is he mistaken? Is the PASM worth it or just expensive?

I have not inspected the car as it is 500Km away, but I have talked to the current owner on the phone.

The guy is asking for 25900 euros.

The car has 72k Km on it, 2 owners so far, no collision record and all maintenance in the Porsche network. I was recently serviced and according to the current owner, only new tires and gas and we are good to go.

He had 1 offer, for 17k, which he turned down, and my inquiry. I told him that I could go as high as 22k. He set his limit to 23k but he texted me 2 weeks later and was willing to go for 22k. I shared my concerns about the Tip and the PASM and I also told him that I will wait for the tax season and summer to pass and check the market in November when prices are bound to drop. I am not in a hurry anyway.

What is you opinion guys?

• 10 months later...

After failing to sell my current car (the EOS) I decided to trade it.

The cleanest 987.1 I can find is this:

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/3082211/

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/3082211/

It is a base 2.7 Tip., early MY05, with a few options. The good thing is that it is a Porsche preowned approved, which means it has a 1 year Factory Warranty, new tires (Conti Sport Contact 3) and clean history and mileage.

However, the IMS and RMS issues I have been reading about in the forums are scaring me.

The Dealership dos not consider the above as real issues and I very much doubt that they will cover me with any “goodwill” warranty after the initial 1 year. A rebuilt engine costs around 15.000 euros including labor.

There are no clean MY06 or 07 available in the market that I would consider.

There is however, one 987.2 MY09:

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/2308097/

http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/photos/2308097/

This one is a stick (which I do not mind), it comes with many options and Navi, and the color combo is nice. It costs 12000 more and compared to the 987.1 above, in the next 7 seven year it will cost another 7000 euros in extra tax.

Besides the extra cost of 19000 euros (which is partly justified as a newer and more equipped car) the downside is that it is not Porsche preowned approved (it is sold by a Luxury used car dealer), the mileage is always a grey area, and I know it has been sitting for almost a year so I will have to add: 100 for the Porsche dealer to pre purchase inspect the car, 500 euros for oil and break fluid change and 1000 euros for tires.

Should I forger the 987.1 and IMS & RMS risk and invest in the newer model?

I do not intend to go to track days or modify the car. I just want a reliable fun car for the weekends.

My daily (work)drive is a Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG7.

I need you input people!

Thank you in advance.