Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

04 Cayenne Turbo Rear Hatch Issue

Hello,

I am having issues with my rear hatch. I have read a ton on this forum, and have tried all of the voodoo tactics that previous owners have posted, and I am still having problems. The rear hatch warning light comes on, every time I hit a bump, or pull up onto a curb to park. MADDENING!! The dash warning light comes on, and the interior lamps come on. Really annoying while driving at night. I have tried adjusting the rear window latch shaft. Not working. The latch itself engages properly. It seems to have 2 stage locking mechanism. Both stages engage properly when I push it to the fully closed position, and then I release it with the hatch release micro switch on rear outside glass. I have tried simply unplugging the hatch switch on the back side of the glass, but, no joy... I have a new micro switch, I will try replacing that. Is there anyone who has the same issue, and what have you done to fix it? I will take it to the dealer, however, It is out of warranty, and do not want to spend a ton of money for labor when I can do it myself. Please, If you have had this problem and it is now fixed, tell me what you did.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks for the replies guys. I am sure it is the rear glass. Every time the alarm sounds on the dash, and the interior lights come on, all it requires is for me to re-open and close the rear glass. The rear hatch door is secures itself properly to the fully closed position. I have never had a problem with the door. I will double check though.

Thanks,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

04 Cayenne S. Mine started doing the same thing last night. It's unlatching on it's own, causing the interior lights to come on. When I press the micro switch nothing happens until I push the glass closed, fully engaging the latch. Then it pops open on it's own and the latch cycles over and over and over again. I hope that it is an easy fix, not wanting to take to the dealer.

I had the same problem, and it was driving me crazy!!!!!!! I know this sounds stupid, however, I adjusted the latch rod mechanism out just one turn. (You may not have to do this). While the rear hatch was open, I lightly sprayed the latching mechanism with some WD 40. I know how dumb it sounds, however, the hatch has not come ajar yet, Knock on Wood!! I have a new micro switch that I purchased from local dealer. If it comes open again, I will change it out with new rear glass hatch micro-switch. Try it, see if it works for you. If not, I would go for new micro-switch. Hope this helps... Worked for me. Funny..

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. I have replaced the micro switch and adjusted the latch and I still have the rear glass warning light coming on every time I push on the gas after a stop. What else could it be?

Please review my DIY fix for this. It relates to the adjustment of the strike. It is posted in the DIY section.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/309-adjusting-rear-glass-latch-eliminate-open-glass-warning/

The fix is fairly easy, and my guess is that over the years the seals and what not slightly deform, so it either puts too much outward pressure on the glass, or not enough, causing the switch/strike to bounce around.

Edited by clarksongli

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I am having the exact same issue with my 2008 Cayenne GTS.  Interior lights all come on & alarm activates whenever it get very cold (below freezing).  I have to use the microswitch to open and then reclose rear hatch window to temporarily correct the issue.  Driving me crazy!