Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all. I just wanted to say that this forum has been an especially helpful resource to a few of the questions that have arise in the past. I've noticed that some people have asked about installing some sort of LED light to enhance the look of thier vehicle. I've done a version and would like to contribute. I apologize in advance but I did not take quite enough pics. Please ask questions if you would like. Also, some may have alternative approaches but this is how I executed mine.

Tools:

WIRES - positive and negative from headlights to driver's seat where main battery is located (auto store)

10mm triple square bit (auto store)

electrical tape (hardware store)

3m outdoor double sided tape (hardware store)

LED 12" strip (ebay - search Cayenne LED)

LED auto on/off (ebay - search Cayenne LED)

1. First remove the plastic shrouds that cover the engine compartment. Then run positive and negative wires from headlights through firewal to the driver's seat. I cut a small slit into the rubber boot of the wire loom in the driver's side. I used a metal cloths hanger to fish the wires through.

2. For Turbo models only. I removed the left and right grills. They are held in place by 3m double sided tape. Use a flathead screw driver and CAREFULLY wedge between the tape layer hold the grill to the bumper. Then pull the grills from the bumper.

3. Place the LED strips in the desired spot With 3m tape on the Plastic "cover" hanging from the top of the air inlet. (I found that the tape used for the LED backing does not have sufficient bonding power)

4. Wire positive wire to posite of LED wire and negative to negative of LED wire with wire crimps. Note: make sure it splices and make contact. If not, you'd have to solder the wires together. The LED wires are very thin. Use electrical tape to secure the wire together.

5. Remove the thin plastic covers on the floor at the base of the seat. Just pull out and upward. This should expose the torque screws that will need to be loosen with the 10mm triple square bit to move the seat to get to the battery. In the back of the seat, pull the plastic rail covers off both sides to reveal the other 2 torque screws holding the seat to the frame. (Note: when rassembling, make sure you torque the screws appropriately. I am not responsible for anyone's neglect to do so.)

6. Now connect the positive wires that were ran to the seat with the positive wires on the LED auto on/off unit and likewise with the negative wires.

7. Connect the positive wire of the LED auto on/off unit with the positive side of the battery and the negative with the negative side of battery.

8. Turn on the engine to test the units and makes sure it works before putting seat back.

9. Place seat back on frame and tighten nuts (note: manufacturer suggest replacing these nuts with new ones everytime they have been loosen for safety)

10 Replace old 3m tape on grill with new and place grill back into bumper.

I hope this helps some of the people that may have inquired about this. Sorry about the pics! :(

Edited by porsche06
  • Upvote 1

End result looks nice.

I don't think I'd wire it to the battery when there are empty switched (with the ignition) fuse positions in both dashboard fuseblocks.. (and there may be some empty positons in the under-hood fues block.) That would eliminate the need for the auto-switch device also. And with the current LED's draw - a 5A fused circuit should be more then adequate.

BTW - the trick to using the unused fuse positions is:

Unused fuse positons often have the FEED to the fuse connector installed. They do not have the connector for the OUTPUT from the fuse in place.

1. Use a voltmeter to determine if the empty fuse position is switched (with ignition), engine running on, or always on. Usually I'm looking for always-on or switched ones.

2. Strip back the wire that will go to the device being powered - strip it about 3/4".

3. Wrap that stripped part tightly around one leg of the fuse being used.

4. Insert the fuse so the connection with the wire on it goes into the empty hole, and the connection with no wire goes into the "occupied" hole.

Takes about 30 seconds to do. I've been trying to track down the connectors used in the fuse blocks - but have had no luck. I may just have to visit a junkyard and look for a Cayenne or VW, and remove some of the connectors from the fuse blocks with a length of wire on them (which can be easily spliced to what I'm looking to feed.) That would be a neater solution. If anyone knows the PN for the fuse-block connectors, please pass it along. It baffled me and SunCoast when we tried to track it down.

Edited by deilenberger

I'm sure you can find all levels of LED quality out there, the cheaper ones will be the Chinese ones of course. I agree with Deilenberger about not connecting to the battery, it's more work stringing the wires there when you can go to one of the side fuse boxes and insert a fuse into an unused (ign-on) power source. A 2.5 amp fuse would be plenty (are they available smaller than 2.5?). Did you tape it to the back of the grille itself, that is one of the questions I have as your one pic is with the Grille off but the LED on? I think your install looks pretty good but would like to see a couple more higher quality pics from about 10~20' in front of the vehicle if possible. If you take them any chance you can E-mail me one at hahnmgh63@hotmail.com Thanks and Congrats.

Edited by hahnmgh63

To each his own. I've seen mods that I think look like crap and some that I think look good but it doesn't mean that what one person does is right or wrong if they like it, it is good for them so don't pay attention to the bashers, their will always be some that don't like it and feel the need to tell the world their opinions. Congrats, I think it is a nice upgrade the way you did it, not taped or bolted on externally like some. Now you need some new LED taillights to upgrade the rear. There are two styles I'm looking at but I can't find a lot of info on them. The Spyder brand and the Eagle Eyes/Altezza/Ipex/maybe really Depo brand. They are fairly high quality manufacture but none of the sights show pics of all phases of operation. Braking, tail lights, turn signal on, back-up. Some use more LED's in certain phases and some have a couple of incandescents for back-up and/or turn signal operation.

http://www.carid.com/2005-porsche-cayenne-taillights/spyder-led-tail-lights-265199.html

http://reviews.turbometal.com/03-07-porsche-cayenne-led-tail-lights/

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Take a look at this post. I have the Ipex ones from Ebay. http://forums.rennli...ail-lights.html I am carreracup03 RS on the second page of the post, and last page. They look fantastic! Very high quality and make the car look new. I am not a fan of mods like this .. but they look like they belong on the car

Edited by carreracup03