Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

convertible top and rear plastic window

Plexus is great for routine maintenance of the plastic rear window. Unless it is especially soiled, I just hose down my convertible top (no soap/detergent). I avoid getting a bunch of lint on it by blotting it dry with a dark towel.

• Moderators
How do I wash the convertible top? Any special method aside from the car manual?  Which products would you guys recommend for cleaning the rear plastic window?

I "wash" my top twice a year. Using the Porsche convertible top soap, and a bug scrubber sponge, rubbing lightly. After I have rinsed off the soapy water, I then use a wet dry vacuum to get off the excess water. Once a year I use the Porsche top water repellant spray. The green can Scotchguard will also work fine. Routine dusting is done with a lint roller.

There are several cleaner/polishes for clear vinyl windows, and most cleaner/waxs will work as well.

The best way to clean the inside of the rear window is to flip up the back part of the top.

To do that:

1. Open the top part way to expose the bottom of the back of the top

1.jpg

2. Next find the 2 wire rope assemblies on the left and right sides of the bottom back corner of the top.

2.jpg

3. Next pop off the ends of the wire ropes:

3.jpg

4. Lift up the top to get at the inside of the rear window.

4.jpg

My car is an 2002 with a glass rear window, but the plastic windows work the same.

no soap on the top. When going to a hand car wash don't let them wash you window either, whehter it be glass or plastic. Wash the window with a chennile or microfiber towel yourself with a mild soap like Meguiars, but don't get any soap on the fabric top. make sure to rinse window first without the spray nozzle. Then moving left to right take a damp microfiber towel and remove any excess slowly. Proceed with the soapy chennile or microfiber towel. Finish with Plexus, its the best for the plastic window and headlights, by far.

Also when going to any type car wash, keep a microfiber drying towel in your trunk and tell them to dry your car with your towel. The terry cloth towels, and old bath towels used at most car washes WILL MICRO MARR or SCRATCH YOUR PAINT. One car wash gave me hard time about this because some other customers noticed I was using my own towels and started asking questions. I told them Porsche has delicate paints or some other story. Nowadays I go to one of those coin operated car wash bays and bring my own soap,brushes and towels.

No point in getting the dirt from the last guys SUV on my Porsche.

For the top only spray it with a stiff stream of water. when it becomes soiled use Ragg topp (spray bottle)cleanser and an OXO feathertip brush to work in the cleanser. Rinse THOROUGHLY. Dislodging dust and dirt is important before the next step. Raggtop is the only cleanser endorsed by the manufacturer of the top (Hartz). Dab dry, don't wipe. Remove bird drops ASAP.

I use these Sonus waffle weave towels for all detailing minus wax buffing.

Next step: use a UV protectant. Ragg topp protectant is what I use. It crates a beading effect which repels dust from adhering to the fabric.

You need to do this in garage or when its not windy. Tape off the window and bodywork and spray the protectant on with two coats waiting until completely dry between coats.

In between washing try and find an Sunbrella cover that covers only the softop and windows. It will also protect your interior from fading dash and cracked leather.

the products mentioned can be purchased here:

www.autogeek.net

www.autopia-carcare.com

Edited by perfectlap