Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

01 996 Not Starting - Fast Clicking Noise

I have had my car stored over the winter on a charger which shows battery at 100%. I went to start the car just to turn it over and i got nothing buit a fast clicking noise. All of the lights come on nice and bright, but the engine is not turning over.

Ideas anyone???

I got the car to start after placing it back onto the charger...I let it run for 5 mins. I've placed it in trickle charge mode and the battery shows 95%. I am going to test this again in a few days. I'll let u know what occurs.

I got the car to start, and drove it for 30 mins, once i returned home, i turned off and the car would not start again. I removed the battery and placed it back on the charger. W/ the battery charged to 100% i took it to a local Autozone. The said the battery was charged but displayed "bad battery" and it was likely a bad cell.

I replaced it w/ Duralast Gold H6-DLG, the car started right up, no issues.So thanks to all for contributing i was lucky that it appears it was only the batttey.

I am a little concened that the replacement battery is not the same length and it has about 3 inches that it could slide to the right, in hard cornering. I do some local PCA autocross events in the summer, but i'm an amateur at best not hard core. Should i return the battery and replace it w/ a Porsche OEM battery? or is the liklihood that it will slide and get dislodged unlikely.

Your feedback is appreciated.

...is not the same length and it has about 3 inches that it could slide to the right, in hard cornering...

There is a slot on the battery tray the battery slides into towards the drivers side. On the other side of the battery (psngr side) there is a gold bracket with a bolt that locks the battery in place, there are several holes depending on the battery group you purchased. If you don't have the gold bracket you should buy one, along with the bolt to hold the battery securley (regardless of any g-forces).

Do you not have this gold/brass looking bracket? You should buy one right away, as a battery jarring lose and bumping against the hood or worse damaging the cabling is a serious fire hazard.

The bracket are parts #9 and #10 as pictured in the digram within the link below. They can be purchased from your local Porsche dealer or any online Porsche parts retailer (check here for porsche parts at discount prices).

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/996-99-05/902-05.php