Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gauge pod totally dead

It's my fault for sure, but some experienced ideas would be helpful. I just changed the sun damaged dashboard on my 986. I started the car and the entire gauge pod is dead. No indicator lights, no turn signals, no gauges movement, etc.

I gave up for the evening and to collect my thoughts about what could have been forgotten during reassembly. There are approx 30 conductors within 3 major connectors attached to the back of the gauge pod.....no way are there 30 bad connections! Nor are there 3 bad plastic connector installations. It has to be something like a fuse or ground.

The batt was disconnected during the entire project so how could I burn out a fuse? But I'll check it tomorrow.

Right now I'm at a loss and it looks like I have to remove the pod and investigate, but I really don't know where to begin.

About the only thing I can think of is that your technique for reinserting the plugs may be the problem. They are difficult to reach but must be pushed firmly into the back of the instrument cluster and held in position - firmly - until the lock lever is snapped into place.

You didn't metion the Model Year of your car; the colors of of the plugs were changed after the MY00 from Blue, Black and White to, beginning with the MY01, Green, Blue and Gray. In any event the colors of the plugs must match the socket colors on the back of the instrument cluster. I know that's pretty elimental......but, strainger things have inadvertantly happened.

With a very quick scan of my Bentley's Boxster service nanual, I didn't see any major fused circuit that would disable the instrument cluster.

Check the security of the plugs. If you should break a plug or more likely a lock lever, check out the following:

BROKEN PLUG HARDWARE. For those MY01 – MY04 DIY’ers who have broken the lock on one or more of the instrument cluster plugs or who are afraid they might, here’s the part number you need : PNA 721.04.300.202. This part number gets you a package with the three colored (blue, green, gray) covers/locks and all three black plugs. They only come as a set of three and cost $27.00 (dealer). The blue, white and black covers/locks and plugs are available for MY97 – MY00 Boxsters too. Have your Porsche technician (not parts guy) check his “Porsche Electrical Connector Repair Kit” for the replacement parts or at least a part number for the three plug package. The entire repair kit is known as CARTOOL – Nr 96 0 000 or PNA 721 043 600. It is full of connectors the parts guy would like to sell you the entire wiring harness for.

DadsCamera326.jpg

Bill

Edited by whall