Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water Pump 2002 C4S

I have a 2002 C4S manual and was reading the latest issue of Excellence magazine and it was saying the 996 C4S is a good buy today except it mentioned that the waterpump should be changed every 40,000 miles. Can anyone shed some light on this for me, as to this water pump issue? It did have the normal RMS and IMS as potential problems that we all know about, but the water pump issue is something I never heard of before. It says the plastic vanes will sheer off and end up in the cooling system. Should I have a concern. I have 62,000 miles on mine.

Thanks

soutahc4s

Watch for leaks, listen for sounds/noises...if you get enough clues/warning signs, then replace. Or for peace of mind, replace now as a preventive measure (some have reported their WP crapping out with little to no warnings and the resulting repair bill was not cheap).

P.S. This is actually NOT a new issue per se (loren posted this DIY back in 2007): http://www.renntech....mp-replacement/

Edited by kromdom

• Moderators

I have a 2002 C4S manual and was reading the latest issue of Excellence magazine and it was saying the 996 C4S is a good buy today except it mentioned that the waterpump should be changed every 40,000 miles. Can anyone shed some light on this for me, as to this water pump issue? It did have the normal RMS and IMS as potential problems that we all know about, but the water pump issue is something I never heard of before. It says the plastic vanes will sheer off and end up in the cooling system. Should I have a concern. I have 62,000 miles on mine.

Thanks

soutahc4s

This problem is well known; the M96/97 engines use a water pump with a plastic impeller assembly, which can fail over time, not only killing the pump, but filling very small water passages with small bits of debris which can significantly restrict water flow and cause engine killing hot spots to form:

pumps.JPG

While there are aftermarket pumps with metal impellers, they are even worse than the OEM design, so we do not even consider using them.

Plus, who wants bits of metal strewn about the engine or worse yet, a metal impeller grinding away at the engine case making the entire engine useless... as opposed to plastic pieces which are still dangerous but at least won't destroy your engine case if they break.

My pump started making some noise at 75K. I didn't know where the noise was coming from but

new I had a problem. After around one week, I took it to an independant Porsche mechanic

and it was dianosed.

I replaced the pump myself and it was not an easy job for a first timer.

I suggest you go ahead and replace it with the milage you have. Don't wait like I did.

If you are so inclined... You can buy a refurbished one at NAPA for one half the price of an

OEM pump. I did that after it was suggested that I don't because they don't last.

It was about economics. 4K later.... it is still working fine.

Don't attempt to remove the pump through the top.

It comes out through the bottom.

A great video is here on the site for the DIY.

• Moderators

You can buy a refurbished one at NAPA for one half the price of an

OEM pump. I did that after it was suggested that I don't because they don't last.

It was about economics. 4K later.... it is still working fine.

Amongst the many reasons we don’t use aftermarket pumps is simple customer satisfaction; far too many aftermarket units simply do not last and the car ends up coming back and either the shop or the customer ends up paying twice; the definition of “false economy.” Shops cannot afford this type of event, nor can the customers, particularly when buying the OEM pump for a few more bucks totally alleviates the chance of it. happening...................

Like I stated... I didn't have the funds to get a $300.00 OEM so I put in the NAPA one.

Now I have the money, so at the first sign of the rebuilt going out, I will install an OEM.

However... the rebuilt pump (plastic) is still running smooth and I will just wait until it goes south on me.

I kept the original OEM water pump because they offered me $4.00 for the exchange. To bad I couldn't rebuild it

myself. Can I?