Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello,

I have a 2006 Cayenne S, and checked for codes with the Durametric cable. The CEL is not on, but there are several pending codes that Durametric displays:

P0147

Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

P012C

Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected - Upper limit value exceeded, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

P012D

Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected - Upper limit value exceeded, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

P012E

Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected - Upper limit value exceeded, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

P0130

Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected - Upper limit value exceeded, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light

I am confused about these code numbers. The official OBD2 code description for P0147 is different ("O2 sensor heater") than what Durametric outputs here. And the other codes don't seem to correspond to the usual OBD2 code definitions either.

So, I have two questions:

1. why are these code descriptions different from offical OBD2 codes? Is it because they are pending codes?

2. any ideas on what could have caused these codes? Seems to be all bank 1 misfires, so I'd think it unlikely to be the coils...

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Admin

I suspect Durametric is not properly translating the fault codes.

P0300 = Misfire detection - checksum error

P0301 = Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0302 = Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

P0304 = Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

and

P0130 Oxygen sensor in front of catalytic converter, bank 1 – signal implausible

P0147 is not in the Porsche list.

If the CEL is not on - does the engine run okay?

If it does run okay, then I suggest you clear the codes and drive the car and check in week or so if they return.

No need in worrying about something that my be nothing or self corrected.

I agree, clear the codes, drive the vehicle for a day or two and check them again. As usual make sure you have a good batter or have it on a trickle charger when you run the codes to be sure there are no power issues which can cause unusual computer glitches.

Thank you for the responses. As an update, I contacted Durametric, and it turns out that the software does not currently correctly display OBD2 codes for a variety of cars. So the code numbers above are incorrect, but Durametric says the plain text error messages are correct.

I have since erased the faults, and only one has come back:

Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor - Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light.

I guess I will take a look at the wiring to that sensor next. The car seems to run fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this topic; perhaps someone else will find this useful in the future.

The misfire faults as well as the knock sensor fault came back after a couple of days. After verifying that the knock sensor wiring was good, I replaced the knock sensor itself. None of the codes have come back in 3 weeks, so I consider this issue fixed.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

• 2 weeks later...

same thing happened to my Durametric with reading out weird codes after I took it to the dealer, where they did get the CEL turned off. Not sure what all they did as I didn't pay to get it done. They were replacing the main system battery and I suspect they cleared the codes as part of that procedure. Just wondering if their diagnostics could have somehow affected Durametrics??

Anyone else have this happen after a trip to the dealer for diagnostics/electrical work?

CEL was off for approx. a week and a half. The "new" codes are PBA41 and PC741 indicating large and small vacuum leaks. Previous code was P0441 (I think) for small vacuum leak. Probably the purge valve hard line cracked. The additional large leak code plays out with a hit in fuel mileage...down to 14 from previous 18mpg.

Tim in Ft Worth