Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Universal 200 Cell Sport Cats

Has anyone put on universal 200 cell sport cats on their car if so how did you fix the the 02 sensor hole issue. There are porsche cats on ebay that have no holes in them. The first link has a hole for 02 sensor but my car has O2 sensor before cat and after cat. Any of these will work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260968945361?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=260968945361&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr'[p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310304733089?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=310304733089&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...EWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...EWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Edited by clb0099

Personally I would stay away from the Sport Cats for your car. They are a waste of money. They do add performance to a Turbo but not a normally aspirated M96 engine. ( No matter what the claims are.)

The best bang for the buck on a 996 is a set of good hi-flow muffers and CPU flash. You won't get a lot more HP but the car will be more responsive and fun to drive..

Just my 2 cents...

Do you have aftermarket mufflers? They will produce a much sweeter sound than the cats.. You don't have your stock cats? I tried every combination of cats, not cats, and mufflers with my 3.4 996 and found that the stock cats with the Fabspeed mufflers produced the sweetest sound and the best performance...

If you reallly want sound consider the K & N intake.. I know it has some haters but my good friend has one on his 997 C4S and it sounds awesome.. Around 5k rpm it just screams. He's a real Porsche fanatic as well. He has never had any issues with CEL or fouling a MAF. He has left his exhaust stock. Something to think about if your looking for more sound... Here is a link. They claim a gain of 23 hp.. This is highly doubtful.. But it will sound awesome...

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=1543

Oh okay.. I'm not sure you'll get much more sound with the cats.. They are expensive and a PIA sometimes.. Also remember if they are not the highest quality (aka EBay) you might not pass smog when it's time for testing.. If that is a concern...

• 3 years later...

Hi guys... so yes I'm resurrecting a thread from 2012. But I'm reading up on the Fabspeed 200 Cell Cat/X-pipes and the numbers they claim are pretty impressive in terms of added hp and torque. Not sure if you'd get the same increase with a universal set up, but either way the cost is not cheap (especially for us Canadians, eh) and I'm reading mixed reviews?

I'm also reading here that mufflers and a flash are your best bet - what mufflers and what flash specifically are we talking about and are there any "side effects" to speak of?

I've got OEM mufflers with the hack. The car is otherwise stock.

• Moderators

Hi guys... so yes I'm resurrecting a thread from 2012. But I'm reading up on the Fabspeed 200 Cell Cat/X-pipes and the numbers they claim are pretty impressive in terms of added hp and torque. Not sure if you'd get the same increase with a universal set up, but either way the cost is not cheap (especially for us Canadians, eh) and I'm reading mixed reviews?

I'm also reading here that mufflers and a flash are your best bet - what mufflers and what flash specifically are we talking about and are there any "side effects" to speak of?

I've got OEM mufflers with the hack. The car is otherwise stock.

Knowing how much effort (and cost) is involved in trying to make more proven power with the normally aspirated versions of the 996, you need to take most claims for large improvement from intake, exhaust system, and  DME reflash with a really large grain of salt, particularly when starting from a stock configuration.