Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

First Porsche: Rough Ride in a Peach or is it a Lemon?

Hi guys,

I am a new owner of a Porsche 2001 996 Cab Car4 for about 1 month now and I am disappointed. Sorry to say this as this is a Porsche enthusiast forum!! Heresy! But I find the car simply intolerable in terms of noise, the seat and the ride.

Having never been a Porsche owner, I don't know if its just my car or Porsches in general. Here in the Northeast there are few perfect roads and my butt feels absolutely everything. The car is rattling from everywhere despite my efforts to subdue surfaces with felt tape. On top of that, within 45 mins my butt starts hurting from the seats. Even the engine sounds strange. I hear whirls and hums at different speeds. Rarely do I hear the nice growl of the exhaust.

Now I am just being a spoiled brat -OR- is there something wrong with my Porsche? I could just be a spoiled brat :o

I would be interested in hearing the experiences of other 996 Cab owners in the Northeast where the roads are atrocious!

Thanks!

Edited by boldstep

These cars are no know for a luxurious ride by any means. Is yours a stock suspesion or has it been lowered or modified. Many people buy these cars thinking they want a "Porsche" and then end up selling them for somenting else, this was particularly true with the 996 and 997, the new 991 has a ssofter ride. My daughter's friend mother bought one back in 2000 when I bought mine, she had to have a Porshce. Then sold it afdter 6 months and a few thousand miles and bought a Lexus.

On rough roads you do tend to feel just about everything. This is also affected by the tires and the pressure you run in them. And the tires tend to get very loud after they are worn down. In general wide tires like these cars have tend to howl, and there is not a lot of sound deadening.

Try to take a ride in another 996 and compare it.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I too am thinking about selling sadly. I will seek out another 996 to drive before that however.

Since the car is new to me I have no idea on how to determine if it has a stock suspension or not. Maybe I could ask my mechanic?

You can take a tape measure between the top center of the wheel fender arches to the ground. if it is anywhere close to 25" to 27" it is lowered and will not be as soft and comfortable as the stock ride (when the components are in good shape).

Make sure your tire pressure is proper, it has a BIG affect on ride comfort. 44 on the rears and 36 for the fronts (cold at 70F).

Also I've read that some people replace the seat foam with good results, keep in mind you are driving an 11 year old car. Try sitting in any 11 year old car and tell me what your opinion is again. ;-)

Certainly +1 to Doug's comments, this is a raw sports car, and not a luxury ride.

• Upvote 1

Solid (racing) or Semi-solid motor mounts could also contribute to the tough ride. I have stock suspension and stock motor mounts and everyone who rides with me is surprised at how comfortable the ride is. Install a set of FisterD mufflers and your noise problems will go away :)

Edited by wyovino

My 99 Cab 996 was new to me in 2010 and I also was disappointed in the cabin noises. However, when the top was down everything was perfect. So I went thru the TSB's on the site and was able to reduce the top noises by 90%. The first change was the latches that hook the top to the window and next was putting velcro felt around the cab top pillars, and so forth. You have to be persistent in wanting to eliminate top noises but hard work pays off.

FYI, all convertible rattles and sports car convertibles rattle the most. You should have heard the t-tops on my 84 iroc.

You can take a tape measure between the top center of the wheel fender arches to the ground. if it is anywhere close to 25" to 27" it is lowered and will not be as soft and comfortable as the stock ride (when the components are in good shape).

Make sure your tire pressure is proper, it has a BIG affect on ride comfort. 44 on the rears and 36 for the fronts (cold at 70F).

Also I've read that some people replace the seat foam with good results, keep in mind you are driving an 11 year old car. Try sitting in any 11 year old car and tell me what your opinion is again. ;-)

Certainly +1 to Doug's comments, this is a raw sports car, and not a luxury ride.

I'll check the height! Thanks!

Solid (racing) or Semi-solid motor mounts could also contribute to the tough ride. I have stock suspension and stock motor mounts and everyone who rides with me is surprised at how comfortable the ride is. Install a set of FisterD mufflers and your noise problems will go away :)

:-) I"ve already ordered the Fister muffler! That will help a lot ! :-)

Also keep in mind that the stock suspensions on these cars are starting to fail and get harsher after 60-70k miles, depending on local road conditions. A new set of dampers can make a huge difference.

Also keep in mind that the stock suspensions on these cars are starting to fail and get harsher after 60-70k miles, depending on local road conditions. A new set of dampers can make a huge difference.

Thanks. I've been thinking about that. By dampers do you mean shocks? If so, what brand is good for comfort but keeps the awesome performance? I have a c4. Also, is there a way to tell if it needs replacement?

Edited by boldstep

Thanks. I've been thinking about that. By dampers do you mean shocks? If so, what brand is good for comfort but keeps the awesome performance? I have a c4. Also, is there a way to tell if it needs replacement?

Yes, by dampers I mean shocks. If you have more than 60-70k miles on your car, the shocks are gone or on their way out. Most drivers don't notice the gradual degradation of the ride quality. I would go with Bilstein HDs, which can be purchased for under $900 a set. The "sport" shocks by Bilstein are pretty harsh for most street applications. Search is your friend on this one, there are many threads about shock replacement. I hope this helps.

Do you think that replacing the shocks would make a big difference in ride comfort? I have 80k. Don't think they've been changed. Anybody done this and can speak to the change in the ride comfort on crappy roads?

At 80k, I can guarantee that your shocks are gone or on their way out. For my money, I would definitely replace them and then decide what you want to do. Keep in mind, you should quantify what suspension you have first. If you have an aftermarket set of springs, etc... and they are not matched properly, your ride will be more than harsh. Take the car in to a reputable Porsche suspension independent and get them to inspect it for you. Then decide how to proceed. These cars aren't for everyone, but in my experience, rarely does someone not like them unless there are issues with the car.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the suspension is shot with 80k miles. If the car is lowered than you will never be happy with the ride (even with new shocks) if your looking for comfort.

I have a 997 Turbo. I recently lowered it and the ride is still very good. But....If I'm going to go on some of the nastier "stop and go" freeways in Los Angeles I'll take my Scion... Much more comfortable and no one wants to race me every 100 yards.

I would drive a 996 with newer suspension and see what you think. And I agree ...All Cabs have a rattle or two. It's not a Lexus or a Jag... And was not meant to be. If you ask me the 991 has lost some of the raw "Porsche" feel.. Too many driver aids now.. Too comfortable... I hate the new center console..Even my knees hit it and I'm only 5-8". People want there cars to be more like Lexus or a MBZ.. I guess that's progress but it's sad..

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by phillipj
  • Upvote 1

Also check the codes to see if it's the standard suspension, or the M030 (either US or ROW which is lowered). Mine has the M030US and it's a bit harsh at times.

But, this car feels, sounds and drives like a serious sports car, which is exactly what I wanted!

Good tip on checking the codes for the suspension.

I went through the maintenance records goinging back to 40k on the car. The shocks were never done according to what I see.

But I thought bad shocks make the ride more bouncy, not harsh/rigid...?

The records show there was some suspension work done on the car. These parts have been swapped out over time:

(2) control arms 996 341 043 06

(2) sway bars 996 343 073 05

(2) tie rods 996 347 131 04

(1) control arm 996 341 053 16

Besides the shocks, are there any other items that should be swapped out at 80k?

Worn dampers can certainly make the ride more harsh, since their ability to soak up bumps is dimishished (usually takes them longer to respond, which translates to you feeling it more).

I would check all of the bushings at 80k, also the condition of the tires, and ensure proper air pressure (factory pressure will make the ride less harsh), pressure has a bigger impact on the ride quality than most would think.

Edited by logray
  • Upvote 1