Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

K40 Radar broken mounts

I have been catching my leg on the front License plate bracket of the 996 as I pass by it in the garage. Last Saturday I tore my pant leg on it.

I decided it was high time I lose the plate that was put on by the dealer. Heck they are already advertising on the back of the car.

Thank heaven I am in NC and so far do not need a front plate. - One thing I hated about NY.

So a task that I thought would be ten minutes at most turned into a project that still needs additional work.

As I removed the Advertising Plate I felt something wobbly connected under the Plastic Porsche front plate bracket.

When I got everything loose I discovered it was the front sensor for the K40 installed by previous owner.

It is mounted to the plastic bracket with two L shaped pieces of metal one on each side. (Both Very Very rusty)

I discovered that one was broken off. And it was the "ear" that was part of the K40 that was broken off.

If you have seen this sensor unit you know it only has two metal ears one on both sides, all the rest is plastic accept for the four wires coming out of it.

I am attaching a photo of the wires where they are routed thru the front bumper via a hole drilled thru the bumper.

I needed to take the sensor off so I could fix it so I attempted to get at the back side of the bumper in this location and could not find any easy access.

I guess you need to pull the bumper. Maybe someone can tell me for sure.

I must say for an expensive radar unit I was not impressed with the two small mounting ears. Even the one that did not break off was close to breaking as they are very very rusty and reminded me of cheap after market add on's.

I could not get the sender off so finally decided the best approach was to velcro it on. I still had to use the Plastic Plate bracket because I could not disconnect the wire short of cutting it. I thought I could mount the detector behind the plate and just make sure I never put a metal plate on there but the detector would not fit behind it. So I velcroed it inside the top of the duct leading to the radiators. This is not the best spot as it robs some of the air flow as well as it pretty low on the car for Radar detection but is the best I could come up with for now. I am almost tempted to mount the detector above the rear view mirror but that would be a long term project.

So now at least I do not have the metal plate to catch my leg or the better halfs leg on. But I still have the plastic plate holder mounted since I got the wires behind it to hide.

A couple of pictures of the mount location.

Don

post-80079-0-86219200-1338820333_thumb.j

post-80079-0-58946500-1338820348_thumb.j

post-80079-0-73733600-1338820539_thumb.j