Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch Clunk. Me or it?

I just bought a 99 996 C2. 140k on it. New clutch at 70k.

Im not familiar with the new noises...

When I shift in any gear, I let out the clutch and mix some gas pedal and I hear and feel a low thunk or clunk coming from the rear. Like I am picking up slack in a bad u-joint. (in a car with a driveline) Am I shifting or using the clutch improperly? If I let out very smooth and slowly, it wont clunk.

Ive driven many many standard transmissions. I think Ive heard this before, not sure though... Any advice?

Edited by doublesnaggle

If the dual mass flywheel is toast, you can get all sorts of strange noises and clunks, thuds, etc.

Unfortunately typically if it is anything more than the flywheel causing these problems you are looking at big $$$$ for motor or transmission repair.

It might be possible your slave cylinder is slow or needs to be bled.

But my guess would be flywheel. There is a flywheel inspection procedure when the clutch is replaced, and in addition, it is usually customary to replace the flywheel when the clutch is done at such high mileage and under "spirited" driving conditions.

These are just guesses though, and in the hands of an experienced mechanic who is actually looking at or experiencing the problem might provide an alternate diagnosis.

Also check the rubber in your transmission mount. When they start to deteriorate they will clunk.

Does it also clunk when you step on the gas, let off, and step on the gas again? check the trans mount.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Porsche/911/OES_Genuine/Motor_and_Transmission_Mount/1999/Carrera/6_Cyl_3-dot-4L/W0133-1891774.html?intcmpid=Product+Listings+Best+Seller

Do you often hear a rattle/clunk when you shut the car off? Check the DMF

TSB 911 (996) 8/02 1360 Dual Mass Flywheel Check procedure

http://www.renntech.....-procedurepdf/

Can the dual Mass Flywheel be twisted approx. 15mm in each direction, left/right, and does it return to approximately its initial position? If so it is good.

Can the DMF be twisted beyond dim stated above without a noticeable increase in the spring force? Or is it fixed (no rotation?) if so bad

Edited by fpb111

It only does it when letting my foot off the clutch. In any gear.

It comes from the rear of the car.

It sounds low and deep, like a thud more than like a clunk.

It feels like slop in the drivetrain.

I don't know what a CV joint sounds like when its sloppy, but I have a feeling thats it. Ill find out how to check it.

I just drove the car from SF to Seattle. The MAF went out the day after I got in Seattle.

It knew to make sure to get me home first. :notworthy:

• 4 years later...

For a 2000 - An easy fix would be to change out your motor mounts.  Known to cause shifting and clunking noises from the rear.  Then it would be on to the transmission mount, but that is difficult to do as it requires dropping the transmission.  Could be a CV joint if it appears on one side of the car, or the other.  Other things could be struts, drop links, basically any rear suspension component.  I would start with the motor mounts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same issue on my 2001 986, 88k miles.  Did the clutch at about 78k.  DMF was checked and met the inspection spec.    It seems to be only in first and second when letting the clutch out fast.  Checked CV joints, they were good but changed them anyway and it did not go away.  Power bled the clutch three times, still there.  Checked trans mounts, seem to be solid.  As long as I baby the clutch there is no bump.  If I drive it like I stole it, bumps or clunks hard enough to hear and feel it.