Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Various minor issues

I have a Y2K with close to 59K miles on it. There is something going on with the horn as it's become very sensitive to the point that it goes off when I brake hard. Is there an easy way to fix this or should I take it to the mechanic? People are beginning to think I'm a nuisance, which I am but for different reasons then driving :-)

I'd also like to change out the Porsche stereo/single CD player unit CDR 220 to an aftermarket head unit for more power and musical clarity when the top is down. Are there removal/installation directions on our forum for accomplishing an install? What size and make are the stock speakers and are there wiring issues to be mindful of or will an aftermarket unit be a direct replacement?

Thank you!

Edited by Loren

I'd also like to change out the Porsche stereo/single CD player unit CDR 220 to an aftermarket head unit for more power and musical clarity when the top is down. Are there removal/installation directions on our forum for accomplishing an install? What size and make are the stock speakers and are there wiring issues to be mindful of or will an aftermarket unit be a direct replacement?

The stereo is the easiest mod you can do. Any single DIN system will work. I picked an a Kenwood KDC X995 when it first was released and paid $299.00. It has HDFM, a Parrot Bluetooth System, CD and rear cable iPod USB.

Get the Porsche wiring harness cable and plug it into the harness from the car the wire the harness from the new head unit into that. I went crazy and changed eveything, all of the speakers, dash and rear seating, doors are now full range in my car. New 6 channel Rockford Fosgate amp in the front trunk fror ---> dash speakers 4", doors 5 1/4" and rears 4".

Then made a mock up box that looks like the Bose rear sub box and added a Rockford Fosgate 2 ohm 8" Sub with a tiny little Rockford Fosgate 400W Mono Amp for the Sub.

I did it all myself and spent just about $1000 in parts. I sold the factory radio on eBay for $325 and the factory amp for $50. All in all I'm into a whole new everything that sounds 1000 times better than the factory system for $625.00.

I also removed the cubby and CD holder below and added a 7" Magellin Navigation System I picked up at Sams Club for $160.00.

I'm very happy with the look, fit and sound of everything. I'm a cheap XXXXX so this worked perfect for me and it is SUPER LOUD with a nice adult sounding bass THUMP.

http://www.amazon.co...enwood kdc-x995 <--- Amazon now has it for $160, its a steal for that price. I love the HD Radio, 100% Static Free and CD Quality Sound not to mention many additional stations!!!

Not the bust pic but you can see the new head unit and the Nav.

39448757.jpg

Edited by white99c2

white99, thank you for the suggestions. After I posted on Saturday I went to my friendly stereo store and purchased a JVC KD-A725BT for $140 (same unit I have on my Audi, why re-learn the functions if I don't have to) and the needed harness and installed it. Sounds better than stock but the speakers appear to be the weak link now as in dynamic set-up I hear distortion from the base. As a next step I'll probably get rid of the stock amp and speakers so if you can provide me with the details on how to go about it I'd appreciate it. I hope I don't have to re-wire and simply replace amps and speakers with better quality aftermarket stuff. Not sure I want a sub for the time.....BTW, I can't see your picture's details, can you provide a better one? I love the GPS install idea and would love to repeat it!

Edited by gcp

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a wiring diagram for the front amp. You will have to run 2 sets of RCA's from your new front amp to the JVC head unit, it's easy. All of the speaker wires are color coded at the front amp location (right front +, right front -).

It will take you a couple of hours to replace the amp. The dash speakers and rear speakers are a snap. Remove them with a torx screwdriver, cut out the old speaker with a razor blade and use epoxy to secure the new speakers in place. I have a write up on this as well that I will send you.

I added coaxel 5 1/4 door speakers and got rid of the awful subs. I wired the door speakers into the front channel. The wires are right there with the front amp already, you'll jist double up the dash and doors into the front channel, easy.

To add the icing on top of this, you've got to add a sub. If you don't want to build your own box you can add an amplified bazoka tube, very easy to do just run a hot from the battery through the interior and a ground is easy, use the rear shock tower under the carpet behing the rear seat. One RCA set from the Bazoka Tube back to your JVC and your done.