Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was in the process of removing the windshield(defroster) vents because the wood trim has completely delaminated and I broke one of the small clips on the center piece which holds alarm LED. I knew it was inter-linked together with the vent, but even with being careful I broke one side.

Does anybody know the part number for this piece and how difficult is it to replace?

TIA

I think you want 999.507.685.01 clip -- US MSRP $0.91 each

Thanks Loren, but this clip is on the side of the vent trim, I probably wasn't clear, but the piece I'm looking for is what the alarm LED sits in or maybe it is one piece. On both sides of this piece are little clips/tabs (the plastic is in a right angle) and the two vents (left and right) sort of hook into it so they stay down. Then the trim piece with the hole for the LED mounts on top.

I don't know if this is clear, if not I can take a picture of it.But because this little plastic tab is broken the interlocking between the vent, this broken piece and the trim with the hole won't stay locked into place.

Thanks

I was in the process of removing the windshield(defroster) vents because the wood trim has completely delaminated and I broke one of the small clips on the center piece which holds alarm LED. I knew it was inter-linked together with the vent, but even with being careful I broke one side.

Does anybody know the part number for this piece and how difficult is it to replace?

TIA

What are you replacing the wood trim with? Mine is suffering from same fate. I bought a new dark root wood passanger side trim in grey but don't have the drivers side.

Edited by 987_RDC

The only clips shown on the parts list (that I see) are the two for the defroster vent (which is what I gave you).

I knew I wasn't being clear. It isn't a separate clip, it is part of the plastic piece which holds the alarm LED which flashes when the car is locked/unlocked. It isn't a clip per say, it is more of a plastic tab on this piece.

TIA

What are you replacing the wood trim with? Mine is suffering from same fate. I bought a new dark root wood passanger side trim in grey but don't have the drivers side.

Yes, the wood trim in the vent piece. Mine is Dark wood with Savannah leather. I don't plan on putting wood back. For one, Porsche prices for these pieces are just crazy and two, I assume if I put wood back the same thing would happen again. So far what I have done is, I purchased non-leather, non-wood, plastic color matching vents on eBay. I have removed my leather/cracked wood vents from the car and have replaced them with the plastic ones. This way the car still looks okay and the defroster still functions properly. I have removed the wood trim completety from my original vents and I'm considering either painting or installing leather in the strip where the wood was. I'm having Red leather put on the door pull handles and pockets covers as the wood is crumpling there too. So, I thought it was be nice if the vent strips matched. My car is Guards Red, hence the Red leather on the inside. It goes well with the wood on the center console and Savannah leather on the dash board.

• Admin

The only clips shown on the parts list (that I see) are the two for the defroster vent (which is what I gave you).

I knew I wasn't being clear. It isn't a separate clip, it is part of the plastic piece which holds the alarm LED which flashes when the car is locked/unlocked. It isn't a clip per say, it is more of a plastic tab on this piece.

The alarm LED cover is all one piece so for the exact part number I would need the color (and whether it is leather covered or not).

996.552.990.02.xxx (where "xxx' designated the color/texture) -- about $40 - $53 depending on covering.

The alarm LED cover is all one piece so for the exact part number I would need the color (and whether it is leather covered or not).

996.552.990.02.xxx (where "xxx' designated the color/texture) -- about $40 - $53 depending on covering.

Loren, thanks for having patience.

But, it is not the alarm cover, but the piece the alarm cover covers. Maybe that is what I should have said in the beginning.

Item 21?

post-1-0-50445900-1340640590_thumb.jpg

See Item 23, I think that is the part you called the LED cover. It mounts onto a part which has the LED. I can't tell if it is the LED frame or something the LED part mounts into, which has this little tab, but the LED cover goes over this part and the part 21 which is the vent cover interlocks into in the center of the dash. I just looked again at the parts catalog again and the only part I could see being what I broke is 996.552.541.02, I assume 996.653.251.00 mounts in the the 996.552.541.02, but I can't tell. And, I can't tell at all which part has the LED. But, 996.552.541.02 is the only part that looks like it has the tab which I broke

I think your assumptions are correct. Looks like you need the light part (996.552.541.02)

Do you know if this is one piece which is the frame and the LED? And, how difficult is it to install?

Does anyone have a real picture of this part? I would hate to order it and find out it doesn't match what I need.

Again, Loren thanks for all your help.

Maybe this will help... (click on image to enlarge)

post-1-0-11364100-1340652150_thumb.jpg

Loren, this is great, in pic 2, item 8 is the piece I believe I need. Looks like I will just need to take screws 7 out to replace this piece.

Was there in anything in pic 3 that would be helpful?

Thanks again.