Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do I remove ballpoint ink mark from console?

I've got what looks like a black ballpoint pen mark on the driver's side of my console on my other car, and I can't get it off.

I already tried:

• Goo Gone,
  • Mr. Clean,
  • Armorall Interior Cleaner
  • Blue Coral Interior Cleaner
  • 3M Adhesive Remover
  • Hide Stick

I even took it to a local detailing shop and they tried some Prep-Sol, which didn't work either.

I seem to recall years ago using something called Afta with a toothbrush on a light grey interior that had a couple of blue ballpoint pen marks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. I actually tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with some trepidation. I use it around the house to get scuffs off walls. It works so well on walls that I have to believe it has some acid in it (I always wear gloves when I use it). Anyway, I used it lightly and not for very long but didn't notice any improvement.

I'll see if I have some isopropyl alchohol around the house (I know I have some alchohol pads, not sure if it's the same stuff).

The trick here is to use something that will get rid of the ink stain without melting the plastic/vinly or eating the textured paint on it. I did some research and read about people using hair spray. I figure, if you can spray it on your hair without melting your hair, it probably won't damage vinyl or plastic.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Leathermasters also makes an interior ink remover. It works very well. You may have to google it. The hairspray trick actually does work. Remember to recondition afterwards.

Thanks, I'll add that to my list of more things to try. According to a detailing shop I spoke with, the active ingredient in hair spray is isopropyl alcohol. I tried an alcohol prep pad on the stain and it didn't do anything. I later tried it on a stamped-on ink price on a jar and it removed it immediately. I think there is something about the texture of this console. I looked closely at the mark and it most definitely has the thickness and appearance of a black ballpoint mark -- not a felt tip and not a scratch.

I had Home Depot color-match my ashtray in flat enamel latex paint with great success. I dab a little here and there to touch up interior scratches and they disappear. That might be a good option if you can't remove the ink.

Here's what I found. Hide Stick seems to be the best thing for this. It doesn't work instantly, but after around 10 applications of it left on the stain for 10-12 hours each time, there's a huge difference. The ink mark is now a very faint light blue mark that you have to look for to even see. It's about 95% gone, with no other damage.

Hide Stick is like a very large clear Chap Stick. You rub it on and wait. Then, you rub it off with a white paper towel that's doused with isopropyl alcohol. You need to take single wipes on an unused section of paper towel, not back and forth. I did this each night when I parked the car in my garage, and each morning when I got to the train station parking lot. The daytime applications resulted in very noticeable improvements by end of day. Each evening, the temperature gauge read over 89 degree, so something about the heat seems to have helped. I'm going to use the Hide Stick some more when I'm at home and I can park the car with the console angled toward the sun and the door open. Hopefully, with a few more applications, the ink mark will be completely gone.

I looked into Leather Master Ink Away, but I was told it would only work if the ink was on for less then 5 days. It might be a good idea to have some around just in case.

Wyovino -- if you need to touch up interior parts, the better solution is to get some custom-mix dye made up by Color Plus or Leatherique. I re-dyed seats on a BMW and Jaguar with very nice results using dye from Color Plus. Leatherique has a lot of standard European dyes in stock.