Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

After IMS job, Engine has loud squeak from cylinder #4 area

I've developed an intermittent squeaking noise from the front left part of my engine head (around the #4 cylinder, I believe) after performing an IMS replacement on my 5 chain 3.2 motor. After IMS / Clutch, I replaced the gearbox and drove off for a couple miles, heard the noise and drove back, the car's been laid up since.

It only presents with load, and can be heard when blipping the throttle from idle, and also when accelerating or even just engaging the clutch against the brakes. It does not seem to be present when engine is at steady or falling RPM (except via slipping clutch method).

This video of the noise persisting was made by slipping the clutch a bit against the parking brake to load the engine a little:

Things I've tried that have not made noise go away:

removed exhaust except for manifold

removed serpentine belt (rules out water/PS pump/belt)

removed transmission (not clutch)

changed flywheel

removed oil fill cap (AOS not leaking vacuum)

changed out IMS bearing AGAIN

removed ignition fuse and turned over engine using starter w/ plugs in

None of these have made the noise go away. I should mention, I had to do A LOT of banging on the IMS shaft itself with impact driver to remove a stuck-on installation tool nut.

I am hitting the end of my rope. Please help.

Edited by black_box