Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The coolant pipe chronicles.... which do I have?

Hi guys, ive recently purchased a cayenne and have spent the last 2 hours under the hood checking my coolant pipes (well, trying to see them anyway!).

Here is the best picture I could take with the wifes make-up mirror. I can see a metal face against a plastic face, but cannot be sure.

Any eagles eyes abel to help? The image is taken with the camera facing the windshield, with the mirror bouncing an image back from under the inlet manifold.

Thanks,

Ger

http://img163.images...12090100082.jpg

bridgend2012090100082.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think you might have better luck holding your cell phone so the camera lens points where the mirror is pointing, and take a series of photos tilting the phone a bit with each photo. I was able to see mine doing that. Before I replaced them I also confirmed that I still had the explody-pipes with a fiber-optic video viewer I bought from Harbor Freight. Thought that tool would get little use - but it's actually been VERY handy for a number of jobs on a number of my vehicles. Was well worth the $80 that it cost me..

Too hard to tell from that pic you've posted. Honestly, removing the intake manifold isn't that difficult once you do it a couple of times. (I cut a hard air line that made it considerably easier when removing the rear bolts, and now use a silicone hose on that spot.) If the plastic shrouds are removed from the sides and rear of the engine, I can get the manifold off in about 15 min.

I'd recommend taking off the manifold and getting a good look at your engine. After you do it, you'll have a much better understanding of what goes where, and you'll see how easy it is to do a spark plug change, change camshaft sensors, etc. Good luck.

Ive removed the plugs & coils before (no cracks weirdly!), is it only a few more steps to get the inlet off?

Also, if I did remove it, would I have to buy a new gasket?

Im pretty sure from my photos that I do have the metal pipes, but I was hoping someone else who has been through the same would have weighed in with some confirmation.

here are some annotations of what I think im seeing:

screenshot20120904at083.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The aluminum pipes are a bright silver color, what you're seeing in the mirror doesn't look like it. That's not to say you don't have them, but you simply can't tell from where you've got the mirror placed. I didn't replace the gasket when I did it, as the old one was still looking pretty good and pliable. There is a write up of how to remove the manifold on this site I believe, it's not that difficult of a job. If all you're planning on doing is checking to see if you have the aluminum pipes, you don't even have to mess with the fuel lines, you can just loosen all the manifold bolts and then lift the front end of it up, and that will give you a clear line of sight to the pipes.

Edited by UTRacerX9