Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A different water line under manifold leaking now?

This pertains to my brother-in-laws 2004 Turbo...I did the 2 piece aluminum water line kit for under the manifold for him about a year and a half ago as he was a bit short on funds. He was getting quotes of $2000-4000 and I did it for $350 in parts in about 5 hours...

We'll he called over the weekend and stated water was pouring out of the manifold area again and he believes it also took out his starter. His shop he usually goes to actually started to tear it down assuming the work I did was faulty only to tell him that it wasn't what they thought.

They are telling him there is a turbo cooling line running "east west" (their words) under the manifold too that went bad...but I've been doing some research for him and have not seemed to find a failure trend of this or what location they are talking about. I don't recall other lines unders the manifold!

I know my comments may be a bit vague but does anyone know what I may be describing here that would fill up the manifold area with coolant and take out his starter similar to the plastic coolant line concern?

Edited by rsfeller

are they talking about the small bleed line that runs over the top of the main coolant pipes? It connects to the passenger side head and is about 1/4" in diameter....hard plastic?

chances are it broke off inside the port (very common). Just get some needle nose pliers, pull the plastic out and buy the new part.....the turbo Tees are not under the manifold, and would only pour out the bottom.

Guys, thanks for the comments. Didn't set the notification to tell me. The brother-in-law just got a quote for 12 hours of time...but I still don't understand what the concern is. he said the manifold needs to come off. Funny that I did the plastic pipes for him in 6 hours but the tech is telling him it's 5 hours just to get the manifold off...I'm in the wrong business!

I'll pass on the T-Pipe to him to see if this is the concern and report back!