Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 Boxster won't start after period of inactivity

Dear Forum Users, firstly thank you in advance for any contributions, they are much appreciated.

The Background;

I'm coming from a low knowledge-base, though am fairly good at following instructions, I don't have enough experience to diagnose problems.

I have a '99 Boxster, owned for nearly 2 years. Unitl recently this was my primary car in everyday use and worked pretty much perfectly (though I'm sure it could do with a little TLC). I recently moved to a new job with company car provided, meaning the Boxster is used much less. I've endevoured to drive it every couple of days to keep things running smoothly, however, very stupidly, due to bad weather I left it completely inactive for a about three weeks.

The Problem;

I came to start the car after three or so weeks and got the 'clicking' sound at the point of ignition. I presumed this meant the battery was dying. I purchased some jump leads and returned the car a couple of days later, now the battery was completely dead, couldn't even open the bonet/hood. I searched the forums and found the emergency release cable. I excitedly hooked up the jump leads to my company car and Boxster. Immediately all the electronics, including fan, worked perfectly. I turned the key in anticipation only to be met with the 'clicking' sound and no ignition. I waited a few seconds and tried again, same thing. I tried again holding the key in the final position, only to get a repeated clicking. At one point the car did sound like it was about to fire, it almost jerked a little, but then went back to clicking so I stopped. The clicking sound was definitely coming from the engine.

Your help is much, much appreciated, I can't wait to hear the sound of the engine firing again!

From your description, it sounds like you are just not getting enough juice from the battery, even with the jumper cables.

Take the battery out and get it recharged.

If you can't do that right now, get another set of jumper cables and hook those up in addition to the first set of cables that you have already tried to use. Then, let the company car run on a high idle (2,000 RPM) by putting a small weight on the gas pedal (like a brick) or wedge a stick between the front seat and the gas pedal to get the desired RPM range. Let the company car run for about 10 minutes with the two sets of cables hooked up and then try to start the Boxster. Make sure all accessories are OFF, including any lights, and set the climate control to the "Manual" OFf" as well.

If you get more than clicking, you will have confirmed that you were not getting enough power to the starter, either because your battery was too far dead or because the jumper cables were of too small a gauge or not well enough connected.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Maurice....many, many thanks for your reply! I was hoping that it was just the case the battery was kaput, If I need to buy a new battery that's no problem. I will try your solution first and then just buy a new battery if that doesn't work. Will provide an update once I've tried that tonight.

I also wanted to say, thank you to all contributors, it really is an invaluable service you all provide.

Thanks,

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

My 01 did the same thing this spring and it suprised me because I bring the battery inside during the winter and keep it charged. It was 4 years old, but dead. The last battery I bought was not an OEM, but got it from the dealer.

After talking to Sunset Porsche, he recommended the larger battery, because of it being a convertible. Low and behold NAPA had the size I'd used before (same brand), but recommended the larger, about an inch longer, which dublicated the OEM battery.(there are several bolt spacings for bat. holder clamp)

Oh, and beware the red paint on the negative cable bolted to the frame, it's neg. not pos.)