Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Interior Light Switch Failure---plus sunglass holder

Hi all. First post.

I did some searching and found this helpful thread:

http://www.renntech....ght#entry217026

I have the same problem with a failed light switch but in addition, the sunglass holder latch has failed. The dealer quoted me $443 for repair.

$209 parts and the rest labor. Here are the parts:

e5ff5u.jpg

I think the $84 part is the dealer repair kit for the melted light switch.

The $33 part is the latch for the sunglass holder.

Not sure what the $91 'cap with symbol' is.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the repair kit 'meltproof'? If not, would LED's reduce heat enough to avoid the problem recurring? Any recommended LED sources and part numbers for the main interior dome lights?
  2. Has anyone messed with the sungalss holder latch? Is it an easy repair?
  3. What is the 'cap with symbol'?

I plan on doing the repair myself and just want to make sure I'm clear on what the parts are. With help from the above thread I shouldn't have a problem with the switch repair. I'm just wondering about the sunglass holder latch and what that unfamiliar part is.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Natty

My car's sunglass holder latch is also broken and today I've just received my ordered part below from Suncoast.

955-555-557-01-5Z1 RETAINING FRA $70.96

I am plannig to install it tomorrow or on sunday.

I would also recommend the interior led kit I bought for Cayenne which is also available from Suncoast. The installation was easy and I did it myself.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKLED955.html?Category_Code=9552Elec2009

'Cap with symbol' are the light switch buttons on the retaining frame that are sold separately. You need them if they are melted.

Yo may want to get a quote from suncoast for the part numbers you posted.

Cheers.

Thanks much for the info and the correction. So any idea what the 'push button catch' is?

Please let me know how the latch goes.

Thanks also for the LED source. I'm just looking to eliminate the need for another switch replacement so I'll probably just go LED on the front interior dome light. Will search around for that.

Edited by Natty

Extremely grateful for all of the input. That's a great parts site.

I'm thinking that the frame assembly has to do with the sunglass holder not latching since that's where the latch attaches to. I'm assuming the frame is damaged as well as the latch. I'll go take it off and look later today.

It took me 2 hours to replace the retaining frame. There are a lot of cables and parts attached to it...

This is the photo of the latch that was broken:

post-72831-0-52142400-1349536679_thumb.j

These are some additional photos...

post-72831-0-65733500-1349536725_thumb.j

post-72831-0-08899200-1349536739_thumb.j

post-72831-0-36295100-1349536752_thumb.j

post-72831-0-15593000-1349536763_thumb.j

Everything is working fine.

Edited by Oktay

I take it you just methodically swapped all of the 'guts' over to the new frame, right?

So did you find that both the frame AND the 'push button catch' were defective? Did you replace both or just the frame.

Thanks for going through the effort of posting some pics.

• 5 months later...

So I FINALLY got this project completed. It was the last on a list of annoyances.

As to the sunglass holder:

Once I got the assembly removed, it seemed to be functioning OK...of course. But I already had the frame and latch assemblies on hand so I went ahead and changed those parts out. The only thing that was a little tricky was getting the sunglass holder springs back in place. They have kind of a weird bend on the end which made them tough to get inserted into position. Everything operates good now.

My observation: I don't think I needed the frame assembly for this problem because the only way it interacts with the latching mechanism is to accept the two tiny screws which hold the latch in place. I'm not sure whether the latch needed to be replaced or not because it seemed to be working after I removed the console. Oh well...works now.

As to the light switch:

After replacing the frame, all of the buttons and the switch mechanism, I put the console back in place and the same problem persisted. Aaaaggghhh! Next I ordered the chassis which the switch mechanism slides in. After replacing that part, everything works great!

My observation: After taking a closer look at all of the removed parts, I found that there was some melting in the switch chassis---the only part I really needed and the last part I replaced, of course. The plastic had raised a little bit around one of the metal terminals so it was holding the switch contact a little high, breaking contact. What I think would have worked, without buying any new parts, would have been to file or sand down the little high blobs that were holding the contact away.

Not too hard of a job but definitely a design flaw.

Oh, one more thing, be careful with the screws, I broke one. They are a little resistant when threading them fresh into untapped holes.

Edited by Natty

Tutorial here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/269-2004-cayenne-s-center-ceiling-panel-melted-housing-repair/

Also -- what LEDs did you guys use for the overhead lights? The replacement parts are the same and will, over time melt again if left on.

Please post the LED info. Thx.

Edited by odix

Be careful with led lights.

I've purchased Porche OEM Led Kit from Suncoast Parts and replaced all light bulbs on my car. Everything was working fine until my battery died just after 2 weeks. I replaced it with a new one but the same problem occured again. Finally I had my car examined by an authorized Porsche service center who told me that the new led lights were causing the problem. At the end I replaced all the led lights with the original analog lights and the battery issue is gone.

The foreman at the service told me that some of the lights remained on after the car was locked. Suncoast is no longer selling the Porsche Cayenne led replacement kit.

FYI.

Oktay

Edited by Oktay