Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adding DVD nav drive to CD based PCM

I guess the topic says it all. I have a 2003 cayenne turbo with the CD based PCM 2.1 (with Bose audio).

Porsche Australia are not producing any map updates for the CD based cars, only the DVD based cars, so my map is stuck at 2004.

When you live in the fastest growing area of Australia, that's a problem.

Can anyone comment if it is possible to add the NAV drive from a wrecked later model car (say a 2005) and connect it to the old PCM.

I assume the NAV drive connects to the MOST ring, and then would require the dealer to code it to the ring with the PIWIS?

Alternatively, if I can get a complete later model unit with the drive, can I retrofit that with the old BOSE gear.

I use my car a lot for visiting clients, so having a working NAV is a real necessity for me.

Thanks!

DS

• 2 months later...

I had the same situation

my 04 CTT's PCM 2.0 gave up on me, and I replaced it with a PCM2.1 head unit from a 05 CS. just plug it in and thats it; did not even have to go to dealer to reprogram it cuz i guess my 04 model does not provide security feature to lock the radio. everything works except the navi.

for the cost and trouble, I would just get a decent GPS for a fraction of the price. or change the whole system to aftermarket ones like Kenwood, it has EVERYTHING you could ask for.

hope that helps

royxaxa, did you also try to plug in the PCM2.1 DVD drive along with the head to see if that would get your Navi running? I know this question has been asked a few times but not sure if anyone has gotten the full conversion from 2.0 to 2.1 completed.

No only the 2.1 head unit. No DVD drive under passenger seat. I do not really care about the navi function. I did not buy the DVD drive with the 2.1 head unit.

I know there are people did the retrofit. U can find the details on one if the forums. I also checked with dealer they told me it is not really worth the labor cost.

Edited by royxaxa

• 7 months later...

I did this upgrade a couple of years ago and had to purchase the DVD drive for below the passenger seat in addition to the newer PCM. (Both out of 2006 Cayenne) The biggest problem was finding the cable to supply power to the DVD player. I believe I ended up with a Porsche cable for adding Satellite radio to the PCM which had the same connections as the DVD drive. (Part # 95504490066 I believe) I went to numerous dealers and no one could identify the cable in any of the electrical schematics. You also need the mounting bracket for the DVD drive, but it just snaps into place below the seat. (Replaces the drawer below the pass seat.) And the antenna needs to have a jumper so that it will reach the DVD drive below the seat.

I added the Denison 500 at the same time but have been unable to get the tracks to show up on the PCM. I did have someone program everything at the dealer to ensure everything was recognized in the BOSE loop in the correct order.