Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

convertible top motor replacement question....

I am needing to replace the drive motor for the compartment lid in a '99 Carrera and am quite confused about this new motor which is different than the original. Some confusion here about what other parts are needed and what the procedure is for installation. Can't find anything in the archives and sure could use help. Thanks.

Wow, you don't post for a couple years and your count goes to zero. Just a bit more info. I'm working at an indie shop so I don't get TSBs or service manual updates. I ordered a replacement motor for the cab cover drive system and received a motor, 4 new mounting studs, a bracket and a new micro-switch for the cable drive housing. None of it makes any sense and I am curious if I got the right update parts or enough of them. Help me if you can please.

Cliff

Thanks for the reply. I'm replacing the motor used to open the cab cover. The same one with the blue clutch for emergency operation in the middle of the rear panel of the interior. It connects to the cable drive assembly with the "cover closed" microswitch on top. Sorry I can't post pictures, but hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

If it helps, here are the part numbers for the motors:

old

Mine had the ear broken off that slides to lock the clam shell. I replaced the entire assembly and didn't have the new part in the s,e position as the damaged one. It became a calibration nightmare. I ended up with a good extra motor assembly but just sold it about a week ago. The motor is held on by 2 10mm long shaft bolts. Just unbolt them and it should come right off.

• 6 years later...

Hello,

i think i have a similiar problem on my 997 turbo cabriolet.

My cover only opens on one side, the other is stuck.

I opened it manually with a piece of wood where i drilled a hole so that i can push the cover/pin which was stuck.

Here is a pic of the pin that i pulled a bit so that i could open the cover.

The cover damaged the paint at it tried to open on one side and not on both.

I opened the top while i drove about 30km/h and i heard a metal noise when the cover closed.

After that i could not open it and so i made it by hand.

Here are 2 videos, maybe someone could help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anQ48XL_Xig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM8VwGaHPgI

turbo_cabrio.jpg