Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New design IMS upgrade announced

• Moderators

Jake Raby recently released photographs of his long rumored IMS Solution upgrade for the early M96 engines with the single row OEM IMS bearing:

RabysnewIMSsolution.jpg

This system uses an oil pressure fed non-roller bearing in place of the conventional ball bearing unit. This is projected to be a permanent fix for the weakest most problem prone style of IMS bearing, rather than the maintenance replacement approach of the ceramic LN replacement. In essence, this new system converts the single row engines over to a similar design as that used in the Turbo and GT style engines.

At this time, installations are only available through Jake’s shop (FlatSix Innovations in Cleveland, GA), but will also become available through other shops as he rolls out his installer training program in 2013. At this time, no retail sales (read DIY) kits are planned.

Ah! Thanks. That is what I suspected!

Edit: Actually there some 2000 MY's with single row bearings... which might be a reason for me to upgrade to the single row tube and hyvo chain next time my engine is cracked open...

"Starting in model year 2000, a single row ball-bearing with a significantly reduced load capacity was used."

Edited by logray

• Moderators

Jake has commented several times that the dual row LN ceramic update has been so problem free that the "solution" update is probably not required. There are also a lot fewer OEM dual rows cars still running around.

• Moderators

Ah! Thanks. That is what I suspected!

Edit: Actually there some 2000 MY's with single row bearings... which might be a reason for me to upgrade to the single row tube and hyvo chain next time my engine is cracked open...

"Starting in model year 2000, a single row ball-bearing with a significantly reduced load capacity was used."

This is a lot like the switch to the large diameter bearing in 2005; the only way to know which one is in a 2000-01 engine is to take it apart and look at it............

No idea, you may want to drop Charles an email...............

I'm guessing they will because once they have the tube they can do the insertion precisely on on a bench.

A BIG problem they faced with the DIY installs were people not driving the bearing all the way home, AFAIK (amongst other issues).

Of course, the center support nut torque is critical...

Edited by logray

• Moderators

Jake (and LN) seem to be moving away from "retail" (read DIY) sales as the required support rapidly becomes overwhelming, particularly with something that has one way to do right, and an infinite number of ways to get it wrong....

The initial customer installs were done on Jake's highly modified engines (so there have been some running around in the real world for months) and the next stage is to allow a few trained and trusted shops to do the installs but not to let DIYers at them for at least a little while.

The parts are much more expensive than LNs current kit parts.

Jake has asked that we not contact with him about this part until the official publication of details thru the press. He wants to do the roll-out right and doensn't have time for phone calls and emails too.

And the part price to the installer has now been posted on a rather sparse web page at http://www.imsretrofit.com/ims-solution/

And the other pages are rather emphatic about discouraging DIYers for even the original LN kits. They really want to drive owners to experienced installers so they can concentrate on developing new products for us.

On that site is also the first description of the guardian Jr I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...