Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Another Brake Pad Sensor Question

I replaced the pads on my '04 GT3 with Pagid RS4-2-1 (street compound black) on the front and Pagid RS4-2-1 (sport drk blue) on the rear. The question is, the oe sensors fit the fronts but the rear sensors do not. The pads are slotted to receive a sensor but are a different type of slot than the front. The rear pads are the same as the boxter s and am wondering if the wear sensor from the boxter is different than the GT3's and would they fit the rear pads?

Hope this isn't too confusing, but gave it a shot. TIA

Just use tie wraps and tie them some place secure. You do not wear street pads very quickly so just keep an eye on them. Depending on how hard you drive the car you should have an idea as the how often you will need to check them. If you track the car you should be checking pad condition frequently anyway.

As you suggest, I have tied the sensors back, but if I could use them I would like to. If it is just changing the type of sensor it would be easy, simply plugging the new type in, to maintain the use of the indicator. The question remains, is there a different sensor that will work re: fit, with the rear pads?

• Moderators

The rear sensor for the Boxster, 996, and GT3 have the same part number.

Sounds like the hole on your aftermarket pads are not the right size. Take a drill to it if you really want the sensors.

This is the hole on the front pads from a Boxster. The hole on the rear is identical.

post-4-1110144030_thumb.jpg

Pagids don't have holes. I guaged the size of the hole off the stock pads by sticking in a drill bit and then drilled the pads to accept the sensors. However use super glue or silicone to secured the sensors to the backing plate as mine didn't hold and it marred the inside of my rim by the time I noticed it :(. It is just as easy to make a jumper off the old ones, especially if they're already wasted.

Strange, the oe gt3 pads have no holes for the sensors they just slip into a machined area on the pad backing plate and sort of sit just above the pad material itself. The front Pagids have the same machining but the rears are slotted like the picture with no hole in the pad material. So I've got the fronts functional and the rears tied up. But as I said I'd like to remove the rears and just use a by-pass plug.

Edited by RayGT3

As I had mentioned, strange. The OE GT3 pads have no holes and the sensors have no provision for using the holes if they were there. So I'm a bit confused, not all that unusual, but none the less, confused. The boxster S front pads are supposedly the same as the GT3 rears. I would have expected the sensors to be the same, given that information.

But aside from all this, I still am looking for a pair of worn out sensors so I might use the connector off the ends to make a jumper, and not have to concern myself with all of this. So if you have a couple sensors in the scrap pile, let me know, I'll gladly pay the shipping and put them to good use.

Now my head hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to cut and splice some old sensors for my stoptech sensors. I replaced the old fronts in the rear, and the **** light is on, I tested the sensors and they seemed good but there was .1 variance between the two. I will probably replaced them pretty soon and I can send you the old ones to hack up if you want, however I don't know how soon that will be. The sensors themselves aren't that expensive, but it does seem wasteful to chop us a set now already dead :)

SPR,

There's no hurry on my part. Just let me know when they are available and we can make arrangements to have them sent out. Thanks for help, I know I could just as well tie them up but I feel a neat clean car is a fast happy car. Again you help is appreciated.

Ray

Sure. However after I took my car in to get my ehem, header bolts drilled and tapped out. It appears that I didn't trim the front sensors short enough and it might be the stoptech sensors which are chewed and are bad, so I don't know if I will have a set until I replace the new front sensors to see if the light is still on. As I checked the rears with a meter I think I might not have anything for you, but I will let you know.