Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics

Got all the parts rounded up for my budget RMS / IMSB retrofit job. Took all the specs and info available on the OEM, LNE, and Casper Ceramic Hybrid bearings. I checked with several bearing companies and distributors and sourced one from Imre's suggested company. The CH bearing with Pelican ret bolt/stud is next to the OEM type bearing. I ordered two RMS's just in case I botch one, pilot bearing, Sachs clutch kit, all new bolts/fasteners, Guibo disc, and cam plugs. Not in the pics is the Loctite sealant and special green. I have the trans out and the engine locked, ready for extraction of old IMSB.

I want to verify engine oil level when full and make the final decision about removing the seals from the new CH IMSB bearing. After reading each companies arguments for and against seals, plugging tube, etc., I think I will remove both seals and not plug tube. The freeze plug in the tube method just bothers me. If it came dislodged it could destroy the bearing. My theory is that with an unsealed bearing and tube, oil can flow in and out of the bearing and tube with the least amount of problems as speed and temp varies.

I will run this for awhile until I drop the engine later this year for cleaning, detailing, and oil-vapor-sep change (just because of age). Please post any thoughts, comments, etc. as I use every ones info that I can find since Im a n00b on the M96.03. You can even call me names if you want (Alp & SP). LOL.

post-85078-0-19839800-1365868701_thumb.j

post-85078-0-03864400-1365868714_thumb.j

post-85078-0-85927100-1365868727_thumb.j

Edited by krazyk

• 9 months later...

Hi, Firefly. Good thread but some of the info is wrong. The OEM Porsche SR bearing has two seals. To me its just common sense. These seals were never meant to keep hot oil out. They should have never been installed in the first place.

I took the simple approach of no seals to allow oil to freely move in,out, and through the bearing. I recently dropped the engine for some other things but left my unsealed experimental ceramic hybrid bearing alone. I think I will drop the engine again later this year or maybe next year then remove and inspect the unsealed CH bearing. Theres some great threads about the bearing theories.

BTW, hope your engine project is going well. You sound like a great DIY'er.