Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Narrow Body Offset Questions on Wheels.......

Does anyone have 997 Turbo Wheels on there cars NB 996's? Just curious on fitment?

Anyways Ive been going back and forth on 18" and 19" Wheels and I believe I may just stick with the factory 18" Wheel Size but Im wondering if we are able to go + or - 3 off factory offset specs? Mainly thinking of going lower.

Factory 18" Spec Offset

18x8.5 with 50 offset

18x10 with 65 offset

I believe these numbers are correct???

There's a range of figures in the handbook.

I can tell you that on a standard bodied 996 (2003) without spacers at the back a 10" wheel with an offset of 65mm is OK, but with an offset of 47mm the tyre bead stands proud of the wheel arch and throws road muck over the bodywork.

H

• Upvote 1

I don't have any information on offsets, but I have an 02 Targa (NB) with 19x11" rims.

They were on the car when I bought it, but I've been contemplating dropping back to 18" for a long time. With 19"s the ride is a little harsh and I'm convinced that the balance would be a little better with 18"s, plus they stick out slightly from the body.

Having said that, the 19"s look awesome on the car (IMHO) especially when it is lowered to European specs (or slightly lower).

There's a range of figures in the handbook.

I can tell you that on a standard bodied 996 (2003) without spacers at the back a 10" wheel with an offset of 65mm is OK, but with an offset of 47mm the tyre bead stands proud of the wheel arch and throws road muck over the bodywork.

H

The wheels Im thinking of picking up this weekend are after market wheels with a lip so I believe is why the offset is 62 18x10 rear and 47 18x8.5 fronts. I don't believe Ill have issues with that small of a margin??? Currently I have the .turbo twists 18x8.5 + 50 and 18x10 + 65. I just don't want rubbing or clearance issues.

I don't have any information on offsets, but I have an 02 Targa (NB) with 19x11" rims.

They were on the car when I bought it, but I've been contemplating dropping back to 18" for a long time. With 19"s the ride is a little harsh and I'm convinced that the balance would be a little better with 18"s, plus they stick out slightly from the body.

Having said that, the 19"s look awesome on the car (IMHO) especially when it is lowered to European specs (or slightly lower).

Im like you I was debating on 19 but I decided to go with the 18 for more ride comfort and handling. Don't get me wrong the 19" looks awesome but I just don't want to deal with the potholes and bad roads here in Cali.

On early cars 996 (1999) I've read/heard that there is more room in the back than later models.

On my 1999 car I run 18x11's in the back, and they fit 100% perfect with no rubbing issues, and I'm at GT3 ROW specs (very lowered/very aggressive stance).

For later cars, there are TSBs about reworking the rear fenders if you want to run wider wheels.

On a narrow body car, pretty much every thread I've read about using 19"s includes "rubbing and scraping", especially when lowered, so I wouldn't advise that.

my '99 had 19x11s on the rear when I purchased it. Not sure of the offset/ET but they looked great and fit like a glove. Will have to go check.

If your able to check that would be great.

On early cars 996 (1999) I've read/heard that there is more room in the back than later models.

On my 1999 car I run 18x11's in the back, and they fit 100% perfect with no rubbing issues, and I'm at GT3 ROW specs (very lowered/very aggressive stance).

For later cars, there are TSBs about reworking the rear fenders if you want to run wider wheels.

On a narrow body car, pretty much every thread I've read about using 19"s includes "rubbing and scraping", especially when lowered, so I wouldn't advise that.

Would the 2000 fall in that category or is it just the 1999 models? Thanks for the heads up on the 19's that's another reason why Im glad I went with the 18's over the 19's.

I'm having a hard time finding info, but I do remember reading some 996's had to have their fender reworked, and that some (including my own experience) indicates that very early model year 996 cars did not need reworking when you aren't running spacers.

It might be 2000 year models and later, or it might be just 2001 that needs it.

The MFG note for 11x18's with RO 63 and 295 x 30x18 tires is...

"The fender lip andrear spoiler,ifnecessary,must be reworked onvehicles up to andincluding model

year 2001."
With this combo I am basically "at the limit" with GT3 ROW suspension specs, with no rubbing or bottom out issues. My fender did not need to be reworked.
You could run 285x30x18 on the 11x18s, the rim might appear to stick out slightly, but that would probably cover you regarding rubbing issues.
If you aren't lowered I wouldn't worry about it.
To give you a sense of what that looks like (again GT3 ROW/PSS10/very lowered):
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG
Edited by logray

I'm having a hard time finding info, but I do remember reading some 996's had to have their fender reworked, and that some (including my own experience) indicates that very early model year 996 cars did not need reworking when you aren't running spacers.

It might be 2000 year models and later, or it might be just 2001 that needs it.

The MFG note for 11x18's with RO 63 and 295 x 30x18 tires is...

"The fender lip andrear spoiler,ifnecessary,must be reworked onvehicles up to andincluding model

year 2001."
With this combo I am basically "at the limit" with GT3 ROW suspension specs, with no rubbing or bottom out issues. My fender did not need to be reworked.
You could run 285x30x18 on the 11x18s, the rim might appear to stick out slightly, but that would probably cover you regarding rubbing issues.
If you aren't lowered I wouldn't worry about it.
To give you a sense of what that looks like (again GT3 ROW/PSS10/very lowered):
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG

Nice car the wheels look great on the car! Thanks for the additional information. I didn't want to chance it so I ended up going with 10" in the rear. Tires will eventually have to be replaced but its wrapped with 295.30.18. Ill throw the wheels on and will see how it goes but this set should be fine.

• 7 months later...

my '99 had 19x11s on the rear when I purchased it. Not sure of the offset/ET but they looked great and fit like a glove. Will have to go check.

If your able to check that would be great.

So I forgot all about this. Just sold the rims a week ago too.

If memory serves correct the rears were 19x11 with an ET65?

Dont recall the front ET.

My 996 is not lowered at all and is a 99 so I can't speak for other years or modified suspensions.