Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best brand of spark plugs/ 2002 996/911 ?

I'm going to change the spark plugs on my 2002 996 / 911 C2 . The car only has 24,900 miles on it,(originals still in there) but I want to change them anyhow, as they have been in there over 10 years. I sure hope they come out ok after all those years ???

Questions follow below:

#1. Which is the best brand (manufacturer) and the spark plug part number for my 996 / 911 ?

#2. Should I replace the spark plug tubes, and if so where do I buy them ?

#3. Should I replace the coil packs ? Keep in mind I only have 24,900 miles on this car, one guy I know says yes, 3 others say no ?

#4. Should I use anti seize grease in the installation of the new plugs ? (This has always been a controversial subject, some say never ! While some guys say, to use a little ?

Thanks for any advice on this subject :thankyou:

• Moderators

I'm going to change the spark plugs on my 2002 996 / 911 C2 . The car only has 24,900 miles on it,(originals still in there) but I want to change them anyhow, as they have been in there over 10 years. I sure hope they come out ok after all those years ???

Questions follow below:

#1. Which is the best brand (manufacturer) and the spark plug part number for my 996 / 911 ?

#2. Should I replace the spark plug tubes, and if so where do I buy them ?

#3. Should I replace the coil packs ? Keep in mind I only have 24,900 miles on this car, one guy I know says yes, 3 others say no ?

#4. Should I use anti seize grease in the installation of the new plugs ? (This has always been a controversial subject, some say never ! While some guys say, to use a little ?

Thanks for any advice on this subject :thankyou:

#1. Beru and Bosch are pretty much the default OEM style plugs. That said, we have used (with great success) NGK and Denso Iridiums.

#2 Only replace the tubes is they are cracked and/or leaking.

#3 Inpsect the coils for signs of cracking or other issues, but do not replace them unless they need to be changed out.

#4 Always a "hot button" item; yes, use anti seize, but do so sparingly. We use anti seize on any dissimilar metal threaded fasteners that do not require thread locking compounds in these cars. Porsche used to recomend against anti seized because the types used in Europe caused increased electrical resistance, the the metalic paste types used here are conductive.

• Moderators

#2 - no plastic spark plug tubes on a MY2002 car. They are re-designed and made of metal so you can take this off your list.

Good catch, I was thinking of the Boxster engine which changed later........................... :eek:

Thanks JFP and Loren for all the advice on the spark plug questions !

Loren, what type / brand , and part # of spark plugs do you recommend ? And your sure I have the metal tubes in my 2002 C-2 996 , as you described ? Thanks Dave

• Moderators

This is what I found for part numbers:

BOSCH Part # 7413 OE/Specialty

DENSO Part # 5304 {#IK20} Iridium Power

Hopefully one of the experts can confirm these part numbers.

The Denso IK20 is correct, as is the Bosch part number.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any other suggestions for changing spark plugs easier, as well as the 'best brands' to use, and the Part number ??? Now , guys are telling me Bosch are no good ? What was original equipment in a 2002 996 C2 ? What does Porsche use then , and now ? Is it worth paying more for the latest popular brands ? Any suggestions on the changing of them , or type is very welcome, thanks !

• Moderators

Any other suggestions for changing spark plugs easier, as well as the 'best brands' to use, and the Part number ??? Now , guys are telling me Bosch are no good ? What was original equipment in a 2002 996 C2 ? What does Porsche use then , and now ? Is it worth paying more for the latest popular brands ? Any suggestions on the changing of them , or type is very welcome, thanks !

You are totally over analyzing this; Beru or Bosch are the OEM plugs as covered above, Denso Iridium's are an excellent alternative. That comes from literally hundreds of installs, not an "internet opinion". Put a small dab of anti seize on the plug threads, install, and torque to OEM specs. A small dab of dielectric grease inside the plug boot before installing, be sure to correctly tighten the coil packs and connect the wiring harness fully.

• 4 months later...

A late comer to this thread, but my 04 V6 Cayenne just threw a coil (I believe due to poor idle). It has 187k miles and I replaced the plugs at 80k and 155k. I will likely just change all the coils and plugs in one DIY. There are a few coil brands out there and I have scoured the posts here and elsewhere to get some idea of best value/choice for coils. The following coils are listed/offered for the V6 Cayenne:

Standard (Partstrain $35.76, Autoparts warehouse $45.61, Partsgeek $30.35)

Beck (Partsgeek $37.95, Autoparts warehouse $49.06, Partstrain $42.50)

Beru (this seems the frequent suggestion) (Partsgeek $48.98, Autoparts warehouse $61.95, Partstrain $61.95)

Replacement (Autoparts warehouse $150.82 for 6, Partstrain $117.25 for 6)

Denso (Pelican $29.25)

Bremi (Pelican $39)

Genuine (Pelican $57.50)

Karyln (Partsgeek $32.95)

Plug costs are close accross the board, so would probably choose NGK (or Denso if the Denso coils are recommended)

Cheapest route is the 'Replacement' brand of coils but I have not seen any other recommendations in other threads.....

Thanks team!

• Moderators

I would look closely at the Denso coils, but I would source them somewhere else as Pelican is usually high. I would also check further on the Denso part number as the last time I looked, they did not make one for your engine.

Thanks! After posting this I noticed it certainly was not in the Cayenne section so I also dropped a post there. Loren noted simply that Porsche parts have the warranty and would be 'right'. In hindsight, with all the different versions out there and with this being a common problem, it may be best to just call Sunset/Suncoast to see what the 'real' parts would cost.