Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rear tires for 2000 C2 w/56k miles

Currently have PS2s (N3) on 2000 C2; live in central VA. Rears are at wear bar; fronts like new. I would like to replace rear PS2s with all seasons. Porsche dealers and websites like tirerack.com have same answer to replacing rear PS2s with michelin all seasons which is shouldn't do it. Car is not raced or tracked. Any experience with mixing michelins. Thanks.

On a C2, if there are no drivers aids, example PASM or TCS or a non-stock diff, I don't see any reason why you can't mix fronts and rears.

I have done this in the past with my 99 C2, and in fact have different fronts and rears. I do race the car and don't really notice much...

On the other hand if it is a C4 or you have stability management or traction control/etc. Mixing tires is really not a good idea as it can actually cause damage long term, not to mention short term handling issues.

My problem resolved. Michelin told me that if I got only 10k miles on the rear 20k-miles-warranted PS2s, that's to be expected for the Porsche and since don't rotate front and rear, 10k is their warranty. (An expensive $260 tire for 10k miles.) Costco warranty is 20k miles without exception, so since the tires were at wear bar, they gave me 50% credit towards new tires. I bought 2 Michelin AS2s and kept the good PS2s up front. Michelin's attitude unfortunately, would've lost this customer had Costco not come through with their warranty. (I appreciate that one customer lost isn't a problem for them.) The AS2s have 45k warranty which is 45k miles for Costco and, since won't be rotating again, 22.5k miles for Michelin.

Have you actually bought the new tires yet? If "NO" then don't. I have had them on 2 cars over the last 3 years and they are by far the loudest tire I have owned. And a friend had them on a E46 330i and same problem.

I'm actually running Bridgestone RE050a's up front and Michelin PS2's in back.

The difference of load rating was noticeable during the last drivers event and drifting was inviting, but I still managed to place #5 overall.

I'm saving up for a brand new set of Toyo R888's.

That would be interesting if Costco keeps honoring a "perpetual" tire warranty, basically I can go through a set in 10,000 miles, but if they keep replacing them.... hmmmm...

Yes, they're mounted on the car but the drive home yesterday with top down didn't give me opportunity to check for new noise vs wear bar PS2 noise. I'll check the noise level with top up at interstate speed. Thanks and I'll let you know the results. Although, at my age, my hearing isn't what it was 10 year ago. Maybe that's a good thing, not being able to hear some noises. If indeed I do notice a new unacceptable tire noise, I'll also try driving the car with more air/nitrogen in the tires (mabye 40-44 psi vs 36) to determine if noise the same.

Also, Costco has a disclaimer to warranty wear if car has been raced (not sure if DE and/or "tracked" included in that defintion). Suggest you ask them for a copy of one of their invoices to read their "fine print."

I have same AS Plus on our 05 325i convertible and haven't heard any excessive noise. Just drove the 996 at 70 mph and heard routine noise upon acceleration but when took foot off accelerator at 70 to drift, didn't hear any tire noise. Need to test again with more air in tires.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport Plus AS on both of my cars. They are one of the smoothest, quietest tires I have ever had. I have 20,000 miles on the front/rear tires, no perceptible wear whatsoever on either, I always feel confident because of the control in wet or dry conditions. I inspect the tires frequently and always keep the rears at 41 psi. When I purchased these tires, I had a complete alignment done with the new tires on the car. I know the tires are prone to wear on the rear inside edge the most, but even with close inspection I see none of that wear even after 20,000 miles. I would highly suggest getting your alignment checked if you are only getting 10,000 miles on a rear tire set.