Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P0336 code

Just wanted to verify before I started changing out parts.

2000 Base Boxster, 2.7 L Engine with 5 Speed Manual Trans., LH Drive

Car was running fine with no problems. Stopped at the cleaners and when I went to leave, engine would crank fine but no ignition. Towed it home. CEL had come on. Checked with Durametric and got the following code:

P0336 - Porsche Fault Code 110 - Engine Speed Sensor Open Circuit.

So, need to change out the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Correct?

(Just as an aside, I just finished changing out the CPS on my son's jeep this morning as it had failed. What are the chances of that, eh?!

It only took 2-3 minutes on his Jeep - didn't even need a lift since he runs on 32" tires. Suspect the Boxster will take a little longer.)

Brian

• Admin

Check these first - but yes, likely a new CPS.

– Corrosion in connector– Open circuit or short circuit in wiring harness– Rpm/crankshaft position sensor faulty– DME control module faulty

Troubleshooting:

1. Connect ohmmeter connector part to rpm/crankshaft position sensor, pins 1 and 2.Display at 20 °C: 0.8 – 1.0 k Ohms

2. Connect ohmmeter connector part to rpm/crankshaft position sensor, pins 1 and 3.Display: infinite ohms

If either test one or test 2 fail then it is definitely the CPS.

Last bad one I saw would work once it cooled down - but then drive a couple miles and things get hot it would open up again and shut off the fuel pump.