Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi,

Brought my '06 C2S to the dealer and asked if a newer NAV DVD was available. The DVD I had was labeled:

7L5.919.859.AC

Got a call the first day saying they were having some trouble with it and that they were talking to Porsche. Three days later I get a call telling me that my PCM has become "locked up" while they were doing a software upgrade necessary to use the newer NAV data DVD, and that it needs to be replaced, and that it's my responsibility - $4600!

It's out of an extended warranty but it seems pretty crazy that I can bring in a working PCM that they brick with their own software. To my knowledge it's the original unit that came with the car.

The PCM software in place when I brought it in was 05024CD1/3905

Which software upgrade was the appropriate one for them to attempt? Is there something I can try that they may not have thought of?

thanks

Kevin

I notice that the most recent TSB for the Nav update (997_9_32_07_PCM2_Navigation) is superseded but I don't see a newer one. Is there one?

Also I'm told by the dealer that the upgrade was being attempted with p/n 000 043 205 46 005. I see a similar part number 000 043 205 46 004 listed in an earlier post as the CD needed to upgrade 2.1 PCM software from "Standard Version" to "Level A" when mine was already at "Level B". Could this be to blame?

thanks

Kevin

Edited by kevinkretz

Don't despair, mine was so called bricked and I got it back by forcing it to re-load the original software and then went through the sequence from there. The only time it is a problem is when it kills the Bose amplifier which it can do on early versions if I recall. Over to you Richard H.................

check this out http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/268-summary-of-pcm21-updates/

$4600?? How many threads does everybody see on screwed up PCMs? Mine electrocuted my car to the tune of $9000.00.

Kevin, for $2500 you can have either a Kenood or Alpine Nav installed with a NAV TV MOST head unit replacement module and it will look absolutely factory. You will get state of the art Nav with NO STUPID DVD, Bluetooth for your cell and flawless iPod integration. I have had my system in the car for over a year and it has been flawless. Everything else in the car works as advertised.

Thousands of 997 owners are ditching their PCMs so any good installer has done a zillion of these installs. Just look for the guys that do the high end cars. They should know immediately that a NAV TV unit will be required to use the car's stock amps and speakers. If they try to sell you a whole system, amps speakers and such, run away.

Edited by Mijostyn

When I hear stuff like this it makes me mad. Bottom line if it the unit worked when you gave it to the dealer. They screwed it up because they had some B or C level Tech that did not know what he was doing. First I would call the service manger and have a nice word with him. If he dose not do the right thing I would call Porsche north America and not take no for an answer. FYI Dealers and mangers make a big bonus off the CSI (Customer service index). If you raise hell with Porsche north America the dealer and manger will loose money that month. Dose not matter that its not still under warranty it worked before they touched it. They screwed it up they own it! Remember stick to your guns!!!

Edited by binger

When I hear stuff like this it makes me mad. Bottom line if it the unit worked when you gave it to the dealer. They screwed it up because they had some B or C level Tech that did not know what he was doing. First I would call the service manger and have a nice word with him. If he dose not do the right thing I would call Porsche north America and not take no for an answer. FYI Dealers and mangers make a big bonus off the CSI (Customer service index). If you raise hell with Porsche north America the dealer and manger will loose money that month. Dose not matter that its not still under warranty it worked before they touched it. They screwed it up they own it! Remember stick to your guns!!!

Binger, it does not work quite this way. Yes, there is a CSI. In a dispute over a part warranty the dealer always wins unless the dealer has lied about speaking to Porsche about the problem which would be stupid. It was Porsche who declared the PCM Kevin's responsibility. This is why you get these cars certified. Having said this, This version of The PCM sucks. The sound is awful, the NAV is worse, there is no iPod integration, there is no BlueTooth, and the interface with the car is fragile and dangerous. My car was under warranty when the PCM electrocuted it. After the dealer replaced the faulty PCM and the instrument cluster, gateway module and PASM computer it destroyed I ditched the PCM and could not be happier.

Kevin, save up your money and get yourself a nice X-mas present.

Edited by Mijostyn

Binger, it does not work quite this way. Yes, there is a CSI. In a dispute over a part warranty the dealer always wins unless the dealer has lied about speaking to Porsche about the problem which would be stupid. It was Porsche who declared the PCM Kevin's responsibility. This is why you get these cars certified. Having said this, This version of The PCM sucks. The sound is awful, the NAV is worse, there is no iPod integration, there is no BlueTooth, and the interface with the car is fragile and dangerous. My car was under warranty when the PCM electrocuted it. After the dealer replaced the faulty PCM and the instrument cluster, gateway module and PASM computer it destroyed I ditched the PCM and could not be happier.

Kevin, save up your money and get yourself a nice X-mas present.

Mijostyn, I agree a Kenwood, Alpine could be a good option. However I worked for Porsche in the 80's I know the ins and outs of the way dealers work. I still work with dealers today as a sub contractor. Dealers may want you to think they always win however thats not always true.There are two sides of the story, we only know Kevin's side for now. MFGs really care about there reputation because of buyer retention especially Porsche. They know that there brand relies on die hard enthusiasts to come back and buy car after car. Porsche also know that people on forums like this and PCA, POC, members are there bread and butter. The MFG. would not want a dealer to put a bad taste in someones mouth for a legitimate mistake on there part. What I am saying is if Kevin goes through the right channels the dealer should make it right. The bottom line, Kevin has nothing to lose but $$$$ for not putting up a fight.

Edited by binger

Also I'm told by the dealer that the upgrade was being attempted with p/n 000 043 205 46 005. I see a similar part number 000 043 205 46 004 listed in an earlier post as the CD needed to upgrade 2.1 PCM software from "Standard Version" to "Level A" when mine was already at "Level B". Could this be to blame?

thanks

Kevin

--------------------------------------

000.043.205.46.005 (superceded by 007) is the Repair CD for the single CD drive to cure playback issues. (Campaign W601). I wouldn't have thought it would brick the unit, because it was intended for MY05 and MY06 cars.

You are correct that your unit was at level B, and they should have only needed to use update CD 000.044.901.40 to get it to Level C for the new maps.

Try the 1-4-8 reset.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Well, bad news good news. I called Porsche who told me to speak to the Service manager before picking up my car. Didn't hear back from him until I called the service tech asking more questions abotu versions, etc.

He told me that in addition to the car being out of warranty, I had a third-party bluetooth device (Tooki) that probably caused the problem, and compared that to reprogramming the ECU. He told me that Porsche sometimes makes exceptions and would discount repairs in cases like this, which I didn't take too seriously - I mean, 50% off of $4600 is still more than one of the Pioneer or Alpine units someone mentioned above.

Shocked when he called me back shortly to tell me that Porsche would cover my PCM replacement. If I post to complain, I figure I should post when they do right by me too, right?

Now that I've looked at those third-party products, though, I'm thinking about one of those next year.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin,

I am glad to hear the service manger did the right thing. Like I said be polite but firm, the real professionals take care of there clients. This dealer wants you back and thats a good thing for both partys involved. I know a lot of people on this forum do not like the dealer. However if you have a good service team they take care of business even if they made a mistake. They also have the proper tooling and parts to do the job right. Best wishes.

Edited by binger

Binger, as in Kevin's case above it was PCNA that made the decision to cover the PCM module not the dealer. Certainly, the dealer can help by presenting the case correctly. But, most dealers would never eat $4800 to make a customer happy unless it was Donald Trump.

Kevin, the Tooki had nothing to do with the problem. That is typical dealer BS. They will now give you a refurbished unit which I would ditch at the soonest opportunity just as I did. The two best aftermarket units are the Kenwood and the Alpine. I have an Alpine

INE W927HD.

Hi,

Brought my '06 C2S to the dealer and asked if a newer NAV DVD was available. The DVD I had was labeled:

7L5.919.859.AC

Got a call the first day saying they were having some trouble with it and that they were talking to Porsche. Three days later I get a call telling me that my PCM has become "locked up" while they were doing a software upgrade necessary to use the newer NAV data DVD, and that it needs to be replaced, and that it's my responsibility - $4600!

It's out of an extended warranty but it seems pretty crazy that I can bring in a working PCM that they brick with their own software. To my knowledge it's the original unit that came with the car.

The PCM software in place when I brought it in was 05024CD1/3905

Which software upgrade was the appropriate one for them to attempt? Is there something I can try that they may not have thought of?

thanks

Kevin

This wasn't In Livermore, CA was it? Sounded eerily similar to my experience: won a free valet at a PCA event. When I picked the car up the OBC was fried: they wanted $3700 to fix it! I got PCNA involved, and it was eventually resolved satisfactorily.